The weather is finally warming up in Virginia, and you’re probably feeling ready to spend more time outside in the sun. Unfortunately, after the long, cold winter we had, many homeowners have put off projects and their backyards aren’t quite the relaxing area they want it to be.
Spring is the time when grounds maintenance companies get to shine and make you, the property manager, look great. Smart property owners know that quality grounds maintenance is much more than cutting grass and spreading mulch. Companies like Basnight Land & Lawn make sure the property looks great, no matter what the season.
This month our crews are cleaning up after late winter and early spring storms, removing downed branches and trimming shrubs. We’re also adding color and staging beds with plants and flowers of varying heights and hues.
Irrigation systems are de-winterized or started up and tested for full functionality, and drainage systems are checked for clogs and debris. Of course, turf applications are happening as well, along with fresh mulch and any needed paver repairs.
No matter what the need, the full-service teams at Basnight Land & Lawn are ready to help. From pavers and water features to shrubs and regular grounds maintenance, if you have a need for commercial landscaping services, give us a call at 757-436-9617.
It was so great to see so many property managers at the 32nd Annual CA Day Trade Show and Expo! Thanks to everyone who stopped by our booth, and tried their hand at our online scavenger hunt! What a fun and educational time for all involved!
We were pleased to give away several Husqvarna string trimmers as prizes, too – congratulations to Marilyn Funk-Andleton with Andleton Management, Toni Adams with United Property Associates and Amber Moore with Community Group (pictured with her new trimmer).
This month’s weather has been incredibly confusing for Virginia residents. The cold, rain, and then warmth cycles make it difficult to dress in the morning and maintain a comfortable temperature in our homes. You may have also noticed that the strange weather is affecting your lawn!
If your plants are looking dead or a rust-brown color, they may be experiencing what is called “winter burn.” The heavy snow and freezing temperatures we experienced in December and January have caused winter burn on many evergreen plants due to the lack of water being transported to leaves when the ground is frozen, and the sun shining brightly, evaporating any water already in the leaves. As temperatures rise and plants begin to sprout new leaves, the damaged areas begin to drop off, leaving areas of the plant bare.
It can be nearly impossible to repair plants already suffering from winter burn, but you can remove the dead areas of the plant and provide a healthy environment with new soil, fertilizer and plenty of water to allow for new growth. If the plant is completely dead and presents no new growth, you’ll need to completely remove the plant to prevent rot.
Because of the often-unpredictable Virginia winters, it is difficult to plan ahead and completely avoid winter burn and damage to plants without consulting a professional. If you are planning a new garden or replacing dead plants and want to avoid winter burn, contact the experts at Basnight who know where and when to place plants to keep them healthy and thriving.
Now is the perfect time to start working on your garden so that it is in top shape and ready for spring blooms. If you need to repair winter burn damage or plan your garden to prevent damage next winter, give us a call today at (757) 436-9617 or use our online form.
Landscaping and design are both important for setting the theme of your home’s exterior, and materials and color scheme you choose for your patios, pavers and outdoor features are what will really help you achieve the look you want. Creating a cohesive design depends on all of the parts of your yard meshing well together.
“Modern” has been one of the most popular style trends for homes across Pinterest, home and garden blogs and magazines for the past few years. Though you may not be able to change the design of your house to achieve the look, there are a few steps you can take in your yard. Here are a few to try:
1. Think about shape: Whether on the home itself or in the yard, most modern designs are defined by clean lines and minimalism. When adding a water feature, fire pit or walkway, using symmetrical square or rectangle shapes will give your yard that organized look of a modern home.
2. Use color strategically: Modern-themed homes use materials in shades of whites and grays to make the space feel more open and empty – even your yard is full of features! The experts as Basnight can find the perfect colors to match your existing features or help you redesign your yard for a complete modern color scheme.
3. Materials: Rather than using bricks or uneven concrete blocks for water features, walkways and walls, look for more natural materials to use. Wood, stone and metal will blend the features into the environment more and create the light, airy feel that defines modern homes. Basnight carries a large variety of materials to choose from, and we can help you pick one that gives you the look you want.
If you’re ready to redesign your lawn to fit the modern theme of your dreams, call Basnight Land and Lawn at (757) 436-9617 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation.
January is the time for renewal, and is when many people begin their New Year’s resolutions, working to improve everything from finances their personal health, and even their homes! Though we may have just received a heaping dose of snow, this month is perfect for planning and starting of your exterior home projects.
Rather than spending time throughout the year completing renovations and landscaping, start fresh in 2018 by getting started now! This may seem like a bold and stressful goal, but there are many benefits to tackling your projects early on. Here are a few benefits of a complete overhaul, starting with January planning and design:
More time for yourself: By checking off your backyard renovation plans within the first month of the year, you save more time for activities you love in the next 11 months. Scheduling professionals for specific times during busy seasons and waiting for more materials can be a hassle, so coordinating multiple projects now and having a crew come out just once will save you from stress later!
Less mess: Nothing is more unsightly in a neighborhood than a house that always has equipment and messes around the yard. Completing your plans at one time means your home’s exterior will look neat and tidy throughout the rest of the year (and will be the envy of your neighbors)!
Less expenses: Whether you’re redesigning your landscaping, installing an outdoor kitchen or paving a new walkway, hiring a professional is essential for tougher jobs to guarantee great results. It is going to be more cost-effective to hire them once for one large job rather than hiring them multiple times for different tasks.
The snow is melting and it’s time to get a fresh start in 2018! Give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or use our online form and let the experts at Basnight Land & Lawn create the outdoor space of your dreams.
2017 is almost over and although the end of the year can be busy with holidays and family gatherings, it is time to start thinking about the new year and all it will bring.
This past year was exciting for homeowners, with a shifted focus to outdoor spaces and fun new trends that were both beautiful and added value to homes. In backyards, there were more green plants added, natural materials used in walkways, seating and outdoor kitchens, and carefully arranged spaces for more family time. We were excited to help our customers put these trends to action and loved seeing happy results!
2018 is just around the corner, and it seems that in the new year, reinvigorating backyards will go even farther. Garden Design Magazine predicts several trends ahead, and Basnight Land & Lawn experts are ready to help you incorporate these new ideas into your own yard! Here are a few 2018 trends we can help with:
1. Small gardens: Design is everything when planting a garden in a small space, and your garden should look amazing from the start of the year! We’ll work with you to create a design that suits the specific characteristics of your home while also fitting within your budget.
2. Dining spaces: More and more people are finding ways to spend time outdoors, and this means outdoor dining areas. This has always been one of our areas of expertise, and know how to make your outdoor seating areas and kitchens a tranquil place that fits your style.
3. Enclosed, meditative spaces: Creating a more personal space for a calm and meditative environment will take priority in 2018, and our landscapers can help you create beautiful, natural boundaries around your home. Basnight is also a leader in water feature and fountain installation, perfect elements for a relaxing backyard oasis.
If you’re ready to get a head start on these trends by transforming your yard in the new year, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or schedule a consultation online.
If you’re like most proactive property managers, you’re already thinking about winter snow and ice removal for the upcoming season. The smart play is to have your resources lined up now, so your property gets the attention it needs when the snow starts to fly. Effective snow removal is more than plowing into a mound in the corner of your lot – there are proper ways to prevent ice without damaging the underlying sidewalks, and to avoid harming your landscaping and plants.
Every year Basnight Land & Lawn gets calls from frantic property managers who either didn’t get around to planning ahead, or are not getting service from their planned provider. While we always try to help and get those properties added to our route, our contracted accounts always get service first.
Having a smart snow removal plan is extremely important for property and business owners, both in terms of customer/employee safety and peace of mind during stressful weather events like snow storms.
Now is the time to talk with your Basnight Land & Lawn rep about:
- Landscape protection (a particular challenge for waterfront properties).
- Snow removal from public sidewalks, driveways, parking lots and walkways.
- Landscaping winterization before the snow starts falling and we experience frequent deep freezes.
- Ice and slip-hazard management.
This year, let Basnight do the work for you and provide peace of mind. Get on our snow removal priority list today and find yourself ahead of the game when bad weather hits this winter. Call a landscaping technician at (757) 436-9617 to talk about your snow removal plan.
Natural Ice Melt
Have you heard about our “green” all-natural ice melt? It doesn’t harm sidewalks, pavers, lawns or landscaping, yet keeps your property clear of ice. It’s both long-lasting and fast-acting, and has a helpful blue color so it’s easy to see where the ice-melt has been applied.
The holiday season is finally here! We know how busy the next few months can be with gift shopping, hosting family and friends, and holiday dinners. However, it is important to remember to take some time for yourself and consider your own wish list as we head into November.
Often when thinking about our home, we want to impress guests, the neighbors or potential buyers. As the current resident, though, you are the one who sees your home every day. Your home and yard should look the way you’d like them to be! Think about what activities you love and take a look at areas of your backyard and decide what is on your wish list this holiday season. For instance:
- Do you frequently have family gatherings or friends over? It may be time to add an outdoor living space, fire pit, kitchen or seating area to your wish list! If you are wondering how you can increase time spent with loved ones in your backyard, adding additional, comfortable seating that encourages socializing may be the solution.
- Are you unhappy with the state of your lawn and don’t have time to maintain it? Monthly maintenance by our professionals needs to be on your list! Basnight provides services for residential properties keeping irrigations systems working, winterization, grounds maintenance, and service repairs.
- Are you bored with your backyard and don’t want to spend time in it? Everyone should have their own backyard oasis that they can relax in. If you aren’t spending time in yours, you may need to add some excitement! Add a water feature, pond or landscaping to your wish list and have a beautiful outdoor space right outside your back door!
This holiday season, let Basnight Land & Lawn make your wishes come true. If you’re looking for the perfect outdoor space, landscaping, water features or monthly maintenance, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.
As the weather cools down, people tend to start spending less time in their backyards. Unfortunately, this means they are missing out on all of the fall fun activities their backyard has to offer! We know you put in hard work during the warmer months to make sure your yard looks great, so why not extend the use of it into the fall months? Here are a few ideas for outdoor fall activities you can do at your own home:
- Movie night: Hosting a movie night in your backyard is simple, fun and easy to clean up. If your town doesn’t have a drive-in theatre, you can create the experience right at home. This activity is perfect for the month of October when everyone loves to watch spooky movies – all you’ll need is a projector and snacks! Tell your guests to bring their own blankets or dress warmly.
- Bonfires: Nothing sparks memories of fall like a bonfire. Whether it is an outdoor fireplace or a stone fire pit, your guests will associate your home with fond memories for years to come. During October, bonfires are great for toasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories.
- Pumpkin carving: Leave the mess outside with this classic activity! Pumpkin carving is fun for people of any age, and your friends and family will have a blast being together in one spot to compare their gourdgeous artwork. For an added twist, turn it into a carving competition!
- Camping: If your family loves to camp but doesn’t have time for a weekend trip during the busy holiday season, your backyard can become the perfect campsite. This activity is great for children because they will have the safety and security of being at home with all of the fun that comes with sleeping outdoors in a tent.
At Basnight Land & Lawn, we believe that backyards can be the key to bringing people together during the fall season. If you’re looking for the perfect fire pit, outdoor lighting or landscaping to fuel your fall activities, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.