Fall is the busiest time of the year for most families – kids are back in school, being driven to and from extracurricular activities and having friends over all while parents are getting ready for a holiday season full of family visits, travel and parties. The last thing you’ll want to worry about through the whirlwind of fall fun is working on your yard. This is the month that is time to prepare your yard for cooler temperatures. Prepare your yard for the upcoming fall season by doing a few things now. Here are a few tasks to check off your list:
1. Be sure to clean up your garden by pulling weeds, trimming back leaves and deadheading flowers. If you have a larger garden with many seasonal vegetables and annual flowers, you’ll want to pull these and clean up the area before temperatures get cold and the ground begins to freeze.
2. Continue to mow your lawn until the growing season fully ends, but plan on coring and fertilizing your yard to protect it from heavy rains and relieve it from pressure and damage that can accumulate during summer activities.
3. If you have water features in your yard, consider whether they will need to be drained or not to prevent damage during freezing and thawing. Smaller fountains can be drained and stored inside, but more complicated features may require the help of one of our maintenance professionals.
4. We know you’ll want to keep using your pool until the very last warm day of the year, but now is a good time to make sure you have all of the right materials to prepare your pool for closing. Check to make sure your items for drainage and cleaning are organized and ready to go!
5. Consider adding a fire pit and outdoor seating. A professionally installed fire pit is a fast and easy way to have a fire with friends and family during the fall, and causes no damage to your yard. Now is a great time to add a fire pit so that it is ready for the first chilly night of the season!
Many fall maintenance tasks will require the help of a professional. The experts at Basnight Land and Lawn are ready to help you prepare your yard now so your fall is easy-going and open for family activities and fun! Whether you need a patio or fireplace, call us today at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the Contact form.
There are few things better on a cool spring or summer night than snuggling up next to a backyard fire pit. It’s one of the most popular hardscaping requests we receive and clients typically have a lot of questions about the options available. A good fire pit is beautiful, safe, easy to light, and usable all year long. But all fire pits are not created equal, in size, shape, or function (see our fire pit gallery here).
Classic 360° Fire Pits
When someone thinks of a fire pit, this is the type they typically picture. It can be either wood-burning or gas-powered and constructed with various types of stone. Some customers opt for built in seating while others prefer to place chairs around the structure. Either way, this traditional style will keep everyone warm and provide a comfortable gathering spot.
While not technically “fire pits,” outdoor fireplaces like this one have been gaining popularity. They are often combined with outdoor kitchens and tend to save more space than traditional circular fire pits.
Gas Fire Tables
These come in a variety of heights and have a contemporary aesthetic for a streamlined backyard or patio. Homeowners who invest in a fire table must be able to safely install a gas line as well.
We believe that there is a fire pit (or related fire feature) for every home. It’s important to think of fire pit installation as part of the whole, because the surrounding hardscaping and landscaping help make it functional, safe, and comfortable. Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in fire pit design and installation. We build the perfect fire feature to enhance your landscaping and your home. Call us today at (757) 436-9617 to get an estimate for your project.
As fall creeps in and the nights get crisp, many of us long for evenings spent outside around a fire before it gets too cold out. While store-bought fire pits, chimeneas, or even bonfires might be the best solutions for some, custom built-in fire pits add lasting value to a home’s landscape.
Check out this before & after of a recent backyard fire pit project in Chesapeake:
The new patio and walkway make use of sleek pavers and really bring the whole backyard together with the fire pit as the focus. There is plenty of room for extra chairs around the firepit, but we love that people can gather on the stone arc easily and comfortably. The accent lighting around the arc makes the area safer and adds an extra touch of beauty.
Do you want to make a fire pit the centerpiece of your backyard or patio? Call Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617 or contact us online.
This is a pre-release sneak peek photo of the newest Eagle Bay fireplace — a see-through model that is already getting lots of industry attention.
Basnight Land & Lawn will have our famous display set up at booth 929 at the 2016 Mid-Atlantic Home & Outdoor Living show February 19-21 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The show is presented by Eagle Bay Hardscape Products and Basnight will give away a Eagle Bay fire pit! Continue reading →
Summer is heating up and Basnight Land and Lawn has been out all around Hampton Roads doing what we do best. Check out these examples of the pool decks, firepits and paved walkways that we’ve created for clients this season. These are completed project photographs by Basnight Land & Lawn.
Please note, these projects will be customized for your specific needs for your particular purpose.
Do you need landscaping or hardscaping for your home or business? Give us a call today at 757-436-9617.