The weather is finally warming up in Virginia, and you’re probably feeling ready to spend more time outside in the sun. Unfortunately, after the long, cold winter we had, many homeowners have put off projects and their backyards aren’t quite the relaxing area they want it to be.
This month’s weather has been incredibly confusing for Virginia residents. The cold, rain, and then warmth cycles make it difficult to dress in the morning and maintain a comfortable temperature in our homes. You may have also noticed that the strange weather is affecting your lawn!
If your plants are looking dead or a rust-brown color, they may be experiencing what is called “winter burn.” The heavy snow and freezing temperatures we experienced in December and January have caused winter burn on many evergreen plants due to the lack of water being transported to leaves when the ground is frozen, and the sun shining brightly, evaporating any water already in the leaves. As temperatures rise and plants begin to sprout new leaves, the damaged areas begin to drop off, leaving areas of the plant bare.
It can be nearly impossible to repair plants already suffering from winter burn, but you can remove the dead areas of the plant and provide a healthy environment with new soil, fertilizer and plenty of water to allow for new growth. If the plant is completely dead and presents no new growth, you’ll need to completely remove the plant to prevent rot.
Because of the often-unpredictable Virginia winters, it is difficult to plan ahead and completely avoid winter burn and damage to plants without consulting a professional. If you are planning a new garden or replacing dead plants and want to avoid winter burn, contact the experts at Basnight who know where and when to place plants to keep them healthy and thriving.
Now is the perfect time to start working on your garden so that it is in top shape and ready for spring blooms. If you need to repair winter burn damage or plan your garden to prevent damage next winter, give us a call today at (757) 436-9617 or use our online form.
Landscaping and design are both important for setting the theme of your home’s exterior, and materials and color scheme you choose for your patios, pavers and outdoor features are what will really help you achieve the look you want. Creating a cohesive design depends on all of the parts of your yard meshing well together.
“Modern” has been one of the most popular style trends for homes across Pinterest, home and garden blogs and magazines for the past few years. Though you may not be able to change the design of your house to achieve the look, there are a few steps you can take in your yard. Here are a few to try:
1. Think about shape: Whether on the home itself or in the yard, most modern designs are defined by clean lines and minimalism. When adding a water feature, fire pit or walkway, using symmetrical square or rectangle shapes will give your yard that organized look of a modern home.
2. Use color strategically: Modern-themed homes use materials in shades of whites and grays to make the space feel more open and empty – even your yard is full of features! The experts as Basnight can find the perfect colors to match your existing features or help you redesign your yard for a complete modern color scheme.
3. Materials: Rather than using bricks or uneven concrete blocks for water features, walkways and walls, look for more natural materials to use. Wood, stone and metal will blend the features into the environment more and create the light, airy feel that defines modern homes. Basnight carries a large variety of materials to choose from, and we can help you pick one that gives you the look you want.
If you’re ready to redesign your lawn to fit the modern theme of your dreams, call Basnight Land and Lawn at (757) 436-9617 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation.
January is the time for renewal, and is when many people begin their New Year’s resolutions, working to improve everything from finances their personal health, and even their homes! Though we may have just received a heaping dose of snow, this month is perfect for planning and starting of your exterior home projects.
Rather than spending time throughout the year completing renovations and landscaping, start fresh in 2018 by getting started now! This may seem like a bold and stressful goal, but there are many benefits to tackling your projects early on. Here are a few benefits of a complete overhaul, starting with January planning and design:
More time for yourself: By checking off your backyard renovation plans within the first month of the year, you save more time for activities you love in the next 11 months. Scheduling professionals for specific times during busy seasons and waiting for more materials can be a hassle, so coordinating multiple projects now and having a crew come out just once will save you from stress later!
Less mess: Nothing is more unsightly in a neighborhood than a house that always has equipment and messes around the yard. Completing your plans at one time means your home’s exterior will look neat and tidy throughout the rest of the year (and will be the envy of your neighbors)!
Less expenses: Whether you’re redesigning your landscaping, installing an outdoor kitchen or paving a new walkway, hiring a professional is essential for tougher jobs to guarantee great results. It is going to be more cost-effective to hire them once for one large job rather than hiring them multiple times for different tasks.
The snow is melting and it’s time to get a fresh start in 2018! Give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or use our online form and let the experts at Basnight Land & Lawn create the outdoor space of your dreams.
2017 is almost over and although the end of the year can be busy with holidays and family gatherings, it is time to start thinking about the new year and all it will bring.
This past year was exciting for homeowners, with a shifted focus to outdoor spaces and fun new trends that were both beautiful and added value to homes. In backyards, there were more green plants added, natural materials used in walkways, seating and outdoor kitchens, and carefully arranged spaces for more family time. We were excited to help our customers put these trends to action and loved seeing happy results!
2018 is just around the corner, and it seems that in the new year, reinvigorating backyards will go even farther. Garden Design Magazine predicts several trends ahead, and Basnight Land & Lawn experts are ready to help you incorporate these new ideas into your own yard! Here are a few 2018 trends we can help with:
1. Small gardens: Design is everything when planting a garden in a small space, and your garden should look amazing from the start of the year! We’ll work with you to create a design that suits the specific characteristics of your home while also fitting within your budget.
2. Dining spaces: More and more people are finding ways to spend time outdoors, and this means outdoor dining areas. This has always been one of our areas of expertise, and know how to make your outdoor seating areas and kitchens a tranquil place that fits your style.
3. Enclosed, meditative spaces: Creating a more personal space for a calm and meditative environment will take priority in 2018, and our landscapers can help you create beautiful, natural boundaries around your home. Basnight is also a leader in water feature and fountain installation, perfect elements for a relaxing backyard oasis.
If you’re ready to get a head start on these trends by transforming your yard in the new year, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or schedule a consultation online.
The holiday season is finally here! We know how busy the next few months can be with gift shopping, hosting family and friends, and holiday dinners. However, it is important to remember to take some time for yourself and consider your own wish list as we head into November.
Often when thinking about our home, we want to impress guests, the neighbors or potential buyers. As the current resident, though, you are the one who sees your home every day. Your home and yard should look the way you’d like them to be! Think about what activities you love and take a look at areas of your backyard and decide what is on your wish list this holiday season. For instance:
- Do you frequently have family gatherings or friends over? It may be time to add an outdoor living space, fire pit, kitchen or seating area to your wish list! If you are wondering how you can increase time spent with loved ones in your backyard, adding additional, comfortable seating that encourages socializing may be the solution.
- Are you unhappy with the state of your lawn and don’t have time to maintain it? Monthly maintenance by our professionals needs to be on your list! Basnight provides services for residential properties keeping irrigations systems working, winterization, grounds maintenance, and service repairs.
- Are you bored with your backyard and don’t want to spend time in it? Everyone should have their own backyard oasis that they can relax in. If you aren’t spending time in yours, you may need to add some excitement! Add a water feature, pond or landscaping to your wish list and have a beautiful outdoor space right outside your back door!
This holiday season, let Basnight Land & Lawn make your wishes come true. If you’re looking for the perfect outdoor space, landscaping, water features or monthly maintenance, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.
As the weather cools down, people tend to start spending less time in their backyards. Unfortunately, this means they are missing out on all of the fall fun activities their backyard has to offer! We know you put in hard work during the warmer months to make sure your yard looks great, so why not extend the use of it into the fall months? Here are a few ideas for outdoor fall activities you can do at your own home:
- Movie night: Hosting a movie night in your backyard is simple, fun and easy to clean up. If your town doesn’t have a drive-in theatre, you can create the experience right at home. This activity is perfect for the month of October when everyone loves to watch spooky movies – all you’ll need is a projector and snacks! Tell your guests to bring their own blankets or dress warmly.
- Bonfires: Nothing sparks memories of fall like a bonfire. Whether it is an outdoor fireplace or a stone fire pit, your guests will associate your home with fond memories for years to come. During October, bonfires are great for toasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories.
- Pumpkin carving: Leave the mess outside with this classic activity! Pumpkin carving is fun for people of any age, and your friends and family will have a blast being together in one spot to compare their gourdgeous artwork. For an added twist, turn it into a carving competition!
- Camping: If your family loves to camp but doesn’t have time for a weekend trip during the busy holiday season, your backyard can become the perfect campsite. This activity is great for children because they will have the safety and security of being at home with all of the fun that comes with sleeping outdoors in a tent.
At Basnight Land & Lawn, we believe that backyards can be the key to bringing people together during the fall season. If you’re looking for the perfect fire pit, outdoor lighting or landscaping to fuel your fall activities, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.
Fall is the busiest time of the year for most families – kids are back in school, being driven to and from extracurricular activities and having friends over, while parents are getting ready for a holiday season full of family visits, travel and parties. The last thing you’ll want to worry about through the whirlwind of fall fun is working on your yard, so this month is the time to prepare your yard for cooler temperatures. Here are a few tasks to check off your list:
1. Be sure to clean up your garden by pulling weeds, trimming back leaves and deadheading flowers. If you have a larger garden with many seasonal vegetables and annual flowers, you’ll want to pull these and clean up the area before temperatures get cold and the ground begins to freeze.
2. Continue to mow your lawn until the growing season fully ends, but plan on coring and fertilizing your yard to protect it from heavy rains and relieve it from pressure and damage that can accumulate during summer activities.
3. If you have water features in your yard, consider whether they will need to be drained or not to prevent damage during freezing and thawing. Smaller fountains can be drained and stored inside, but more complicated features may require the help of one of our maintenance professionals.
4. We know you’ll want to keep using your pool until the very last warm day of the year, but now is a good time to make sure you have all of the right materials to prepare your pool for closing. Check to make sure your items for drainage and cleaning are organized and ready to go!
5. Consider adding a fire pit and outdoor seating. A professionally installed fire pit is a fast and easy way to have a fire with friends and family during the fall, and causes no damage to your yard. Now is a great time to add a fire pit so that it is ready for the first chilly night of the season!
Many fall maintenance tasks will require the help of a professional. The experts at Basnight Land and Lawn are ready to help you prepare your yard now so your fall is easy-going and open for family activities and fun! Whether you need a patio or fireplace, call us today at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the Contact form.
Heading back to school can be a big deal for your kids. It means they are making new friends, learning new things, and gaining new life experiences. Keeping the family connected during the busy back to school season can be difficult, but the solution may be in your own backyard.
Your home’s backyard can provide the perfect place for gatherings of all kinds, and a well-designed yard can be the key to bringing family and friends together during the school year. As the weather cools, opportunities for outdoor activities open up and you have the chance to make your home the place to be. Here are a few items you can add to your yard to provide the ultimate social space for you and your kids:
Seating. Adding purposeful seating can bring people to your backyard and make them want to stay. A seating-wall is perfect for adding to an outdoor fireplace and is easier to manage than chairs. What can be a comfortable spot for your kids to do their homework after school can also become a warm social circle during cooler nights. Your kids stay closer, and your house becomes “the spot.”
An outdoor kitchen. An outdoor kitchen makes for a relaxing cooking experience and keeps dirt from being tracked inside your home during serving and cleanup. Guests will be impressed and time for socialization will double with more room to linger around the cooking area. Plus, cooking outdoors is fun and we can provide all the functions of an inside kitchen.
Lighting. As the summer winds down, hours of daylight decrease. Adding accent lighting to your backyard will create a warm environment and keep friends and family together longer as the sun fades away.
If you’re ready to create the perfect space for your kids to socialize after school and for your friends and family to bond, contact Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617 and find out what options are best for your home.
It’s unofficially summertime and that means lots of warm nights spent outdoors with family and friends. The longer days contribute more natural light, but later nights require an outdoor lighting scheme to both highlight beautiful landscaping and keep traffic areas safe. Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in landscape lighting for walkways, pool decks, foliage accents, and more. Here are some tips for effectively lighting your outdoor areas!
Draw the eye strategically. Effective walkway lighting, for instance, helps bring people from point A to point B safely and with visual interest. It should also work with low light at dusk and moonlight.
Follow the “less-is-more” adage. When it comes to landscape lighting, there is such thing as too much. Highlight the landscape features you love and make sure people can get where they are going safely. Include more accent lighting than that and it may be excessive.
Don’t be afraid of natural light sources. Whether it’s a firepit or solar-powered pathway lights, harnessing the power of natural light can save you money and seriously beautify your landscape.
Play with warm and cool tones. One way to make your outdoor features really pop is to mix warm and cool light fixtures (consider the difference between moonlight and candlelight).
Get bold. Bright, bold colors are not off limits for many landscape aesthetics. Take this pool lighting, for instance.
Are you ready to upgrade and enhance your landscape lighting? Call Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617. We can create an innovative lighting design that will keep your yard looking great all day and into the night.