The holiday season is finally here! We know how busy the next few months can be with gift shopping, hosting family and friends, and holiday dinners. However, it is important to remember to take some time for yourself and consider your own wish list as we head into November.
Often when thinking about our home, we want to impress guests, the neighbors or potential buyers. As the current resident, though, you are the one who sees your home every day. Your home and yard should look the way you’d like them to be! Think about what activities you love and take a look at areas of your backyard and decide what is on your wish list this holiday season. For instance:
- Do you frequently have family gatherings or friends over? It may be time to add an outdoor living space, fire pit, kitchen or seating area to your wish list! If you are wondering how you can increase time spent with loved ones in your backyard, adding additional, comfortable seating that encourages socializing may be the solution.
- Are you unhappy with the state of your lawn and don’t have time to maintain it? Monthly maintenance by our professionals needs to be on your list! Basnight provides services for residential properties keeping irrigations systems working, winterization, grounds maintenance, and service repairs.
- Are you bored with your backyard and don’t want to spend time in it? Everyone should have their own backyard oasis that they can relax in. If you aren’t spending time in yours, you may need to add some excitement! Add a water feature, pond or landscaping to your wish list and have a beautiful outdoor space right outside your back door!
This holiday season, let Basnight Land & Lawn make your wishes come true. If you’re looking for the perfect outdoor space, landscaping, water features or monthly maintenance, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.
As the weather cools down, people tend to start spending less time in their backyards. Unfortunately, this means they are missing out on all of the fall fun activities their backyard has to offer! We know you put in hard work during the warmer months to make sure your yard looks great, so why not extend the use of it into the fall months? Here are a few ideas for outdoor fall activities you can do at your own home:
- Movie night: Hosting a movie night in your backyard is simple, fun and easy to clean up. If your town doesn’t have a drive-in theatre, you can create the experience right at home. This activity is perfect for the month of October when everyone loves to watch spooky movies – all you’ll need is a projector and snacks! Tell your guests to bring their own blankets or dress warmly.
- Bonfires: Nothing sparks memories of fall like a bonfire. Whether it is an outdoor fireplace or a stone fire pit, your guests will associate your home with fond memories for years to come. During October, bonfires are great for toasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories.
- Pumpkin carving: Leave the mess outside with this classic activity! Pumpkin carving is fun for people of any age, and your friends and family will have a blast being together in one spot to compare their gourdgeous artwork. For an added twist, turn it into a carving competition!
- Camping: If your family loves to camp but doesn’t have time for a weekend trip during the busy holiday season, your backyard can become the perfect campsite. This activity is great for children because they will have the safety and security of being at home with all of the fun that comes with sleeping outdoors in a tent.
At Basnight Land & Lawn, we believe that backyards can be the key to bringing people together during the fall season. If you’re looking for the perfect fire pit, outdoor lighting or landscaping to fuel your fall activities, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.
Fall is the busiest time of the year for most families – kids are back in school, being driven to and from extracurricular activities and having friends over, while parents are getting ready for a holiday season full of family visits, travel and parties. The last thing you’ll want to worry about through the whirlwind of fall fun is working on your yard, so this month is the time to prepare your yard for cooler temperatures. Here are a few tasks to check off your list:
1. Be sure to clean up your garden by pulling weeds, trimming back leaves and deadheading flowers. If you have a larger garden with many seasonal vegetables and annual flowers, you’ll want to pull these and clean up the area before temperatures get cold and the ground begins to freeze.
2. Continue to mow your lawn until the growing season fully ends, but plan on coring and fertilizing your yard to protect it from heavy rains and relieve it from pressure and damage that can accumulate during summer activities.
3. If you have water features in your yard, consider whether they will need to be drained or not to prevent damage during freezing and thawing. Smaller fountains can be drained and stored inside, but more complicated features may require the help of one of our maintenance professionals.
4. We know you’ll want to keep using your pool until the very last warm day of the year, but now is a good time to make sure you have all of the right materials to prepare your pool for closing. Check to make sure your items for drainage and cleaning are organized and ready to go!
5. Consider adding a fire pit and outdoor seating. A professionally installed fire pit is a fast and easy way to have a fire with friends and family during the fall, and causes no damage to your yard. Now is a great time to add a fire pit so that it is ready for the first chilly night of the season!
Many fall maintenance tasks will require the help of a professional. The experts at Basnight Land and Lawn are ready to help you prepare your yard now so your fall is easy-going and open for family activities and fun! Whether you need a patio or fireplace, call us today at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the Contact form.
Heading back to school can be a big deal for your kids. It means they are making new friends, learning new things, and gaining new life experiences. Keeping the family connected during the busy back to school season can be difficult, but the solution may be in your own backyard.
Your home’s backyard can provide the perfect place for gatherings of all kinds, and a well-designed yard can be the key to bringing family and friends together during the school year. As the weather cools, opportunities for outdoor activities open up and you have the chance to make your home the place to be. Here are a few items you can add to your yard to provide the ultimate social space for you and your kids:
Seating. Adding purposeful seating can bring people to your backyard and make them want to stay. A seating-wall is perfect for adding to an outdoor fireplace and is easier to manage than chairs. What can be a comfortable spot for your kids to do their homework after school can also become a warm social circle during cooler nights. Your kids stay closer, and your house becomes “the spot.”
An outdoor kitchen. An outdoor kitchen makes for a relaxing cooking experience and keeps dirt from being tracked inside your home during serving and cleanup. Guests will be impressed and time for socialization will double with more room to linger around the cooking area. Plus, cooking outdoors is fun and we can provide all the functions of an inside kitchen.
Lighting. As the summer winds down, hours of daylight decrease. Adding accent lighting to your backyard will create a warm environment and keep friends and family together longer as the sun fades away.
If you’re ready to create the perfect space for your kids to socialize after school and for your friends and family to bond, contact Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617 and find out what options are best for your home.
It’s unofficially summertime and that means lots of warm nights spent outdoors with family and friends. The longer days contribute more natural light, but later nights require an outdoor lighting scheme to both highlight beautiful landscaping and keep traffic areas safe. Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in landscape lighting for walkways, pool decks, foliage accents, and more. Here are some tips for effectively lighting your outdoor areas!
Draw the eye strategically. Effective walkway lighting, for instance, helps bring people from point A to point B safely and with visual interest. It should also work with low light at dusk and moonlight.
Follow the “less-is-more” adage. When it comes to landscape lighting, there is such thing as too much. Highlight the landscape features you love and make sure people can get where they are going safely. Include more accent lighting than that and it may be excessive.
Don’t be afraid of natural light sources. Whether it’s a firepit or solar-powered pathway lights, harnessing the power of natural light can save you money and seriously beautify your landscape.
Play with warm and cool tones. One way to make your outdoor features really pop is to mix warm and cool light fixtures (consider the difference between moonlight and candlelight).
Get bold. Bright, bold colors are not off limits for many landscape aesthetics. Take this pool lighting, for instance.
Are you ready to upgrade and enhance your landscape lighting? Call Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617. We can create an innovative lighting design that will keep your yard looking great all day and into the night.
There are few things better on a cool spring or summer night than snuggling up next to a backyard fire pit. It’s one of the most popular hardscaping requests we receive and clients typically have a lot of questions about the options available. A good fire pit is beautiful, safe, easy to light, and usable all year long. But all fire pits are not created equal, in size, shape, or function (see our fire pit gallery here).
Classic 360° Fire Pits
When someone thinks of a fire pit, this is the type they typically picture. It can be either wood-burning or gas-powered and constructed with various types of stone. Some customers opt for built in seating while others prefer to place chairs around the structure. Either way, this traditional style will keep everyone warm and provide a comfortable gathering spot.
While not technically “fire pits,” outdoor fireplaces like this one have been gaining popularity. They are often combined with outdoor kitchens and tend to save more space than traditional circular fire pits.
Gas Fire Tables
These come in a variety of heights and have a contemporary aesthetic for a streamlined backyard or patio. Homeowners who invest in a fire table must be able to safely install a gas line as well.
We believe that there is a fire pit (or related fire feature) for every home. It’s important to think of fire pit installation as part of the whole, because the surrounding hardscaping and landscaping help make it functional, safe, and comfortable. Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in fire pit design and installation. We build the perfect fire feature to enhance your landscaping and your home. Call us today at (757) 436-9617 to get an estimate for your project.
If you have an in-ground pool, now is the time to think about opening it and getting ready for summer swimming. While many people just think about clearing the water, testing PH levels and getting any debris out of the pool itself, there are a number of other things you can do to make the most of pool-prep, including upgrading the pool deck itself.
When installing a new pool or renovating the pool area, the first aspect to consider is safety. It’s important to follow all local codes and regulations in order to protect your family, friends, and property. One way we like to enhance safety is by installing slip-resistant porcelain pavers around the pool area. The Mirage line is both frost and skid-resistant and is a beautiful choice for any pool deck.
You’ve taken the time and money to invest in your pool. Why not make the pool area even more attractive with water features, accent lighting, hardscape installations, or an outdoor kitchen? These additions make entertaining easier and more fun for everyone.
Firepits are another great addition to any landscape, but especially for one with a pool. Cooler summer nights will be much cozier when friends and family can get out of the pool and warm up by the fire.
If you’re ready to update your pool area, now is the time! Let Basnight do the work to get your pool ready for summer entertaining. Call (757) 436-9617 to talk about your project or contact us online. We also do work for the homeowner’s associations, condo associations and more.
During the winter, the condition of your lawn may be low on the list of your priorities. It’s generally on the brown side till spring. This year, however, the weather has been warmer than usual and you may be noticing greener grass or even weeds sprouting up already. Many of our clients are asking, “What can I do to have a beautiful landscape this season?”
As a homeowner, a great looking yard can make all the difference in both curb appeal and the way you see your home. A bad looking yard, on the other hand, can be a real thorn in your side. It’s common for people to have a love-hate relationship with their landscapes, but you don’t have to be one of them! Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in landscape design and installation for beautiful lawns all year. There are plenty of ways to enhance curb appeal that are “evergreen:”
Call or contact Basnight Land & Lawn today before the spring rush begins to talk about how we can work together to make your landscape one you love!
Did you make any personal New Year’s resolutions this year? Maybe you want to get fit, spend more time with family, or be more mindful about spending money. The new year is a time to start fresh and reorient goals and habits. This reorientation doesn’t have to stop with you. This year, think about the ways you can improve and add ease to your professional life. If you are involved in building maintenance, property management or a homeowners association, consider focusing on your organization’s grounds and landscaping. Basnight Land & Lawn can help.
Beautiful and well-managed landscaping makes a difference. It has an even bigger impact when the people in charge of the organization don’t have to worry about its maintenance. Make it a professional goal this year to feel good about the way your grounds look without having to worry about maintaining them.
Basnight Land and Lawn can develop a structured commercial landscaping plan for your organization that is based on the unique needs of your customers, employees, and/or residents. We offer:
- Design and installation of landscaping
- Grounds maintenance
- Subdivision entrance features
- Irrigation design (start up and winterization)
- Concrete walkway and driveway design
- Accent lighting
- Snow removal
- Pest control
- Large-scale lighting
- Turf and ornamental treatment applications
Call us today at (757) 436-9617 to learn more about what we can do for our commercial clients.
It may not exactly feel like it now, but Hampton Roads is in for a cold winter that is likely to include some ice and snow. Past years have taught us that by the time snow hits, it’s too late to get ahead of slippery sidewalks and damage to landscaping. Having a smart snow removal plan is extremely important for business owners both in terms of customer/employee safety and peace of mind during stressful weather events like snow storms.
Basnight Land & Lawn works for companies, HOA’s and other commercial entities all year long, designing and preserving functional landscapes. During the winter, these clients reserve us to be on high alert for snow and ice removal. These services include:
- Landscape protection (a particular challenge for water front properties)
- Snow removal from public sidewalks, driveways and more
- Landscaping winterization before the snow starts falling and we experience frequent deep freezes.
- Ice and slip-hazard management
As a business owner or HOA leader, we understand that you have enough on your plate to have to worry about scrambling to keep your commercial property safe and intact in the event of a snowstorm. Let Basnight do the work for you. Get on our snow removal priority list today and find yourself ahead of the game when bad weather hits this winter. Call a landscaping technician at (757) 436-9617 to talk about your snow removal plan.