Do you have a project that you’re unsure of? Should you call a professional? This blog may be useful by helping you to determine if a DYI project has the potential to become something you are not able to manage alone. Call Basnight Land & Lawn for an estimate!
Tips for DIY projects, information to help you with basic landscaping and inspiration for you and your yard. Make your yard the most envied in your neighborhood by following our blog!
- A Sad Sod Story: How DIY can actually cost you more money
I am not a DIY’er, I do not enjoy outside work or manual labor, but I made an exception in this case because I thought I had what it took. Oh how wrong I was. My sad sod story was a disaster from the beginning and I regret not seeking professional help from the start.
(Written as someone was speaking to the sod)
It was 2 weeks ago today that I brought you home from the store to come live at my house. I did everything the people at the home improvement store said to do to prepare for you. And I did these things a week ahead of time to make sure your area was ready to go when you arrived. I asked for specific directions because the people at Lowe’s know I’m not a master gardener, not because they think I’m an idiot, but because I told them that I was when it comes to plants. I followed their directions to a T. When I picked you up, you were heavy and your color wasn’t great, but they told me when you were laid down, you’d perk up and to be sure I gave you water every single morning. So I did. Every morning I watered you, I cleaned you off when a duck would leave poop on you. I cleaned off any debris that had fallen from the trees that towered over you. I made sure that the area you were being placed in had an appropriate mixture of sun and shade throughout the day and carefully planned everything out.
Unfortunately, none of that was enough. I started removing your neighbors one section at a time when I saw that you were in distress. I’m sure you noticed that the patch beside you was gone….and I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to save you. I tried. I moved unhealthy patches and put them in a better place in the yard to ensure they could flourish and grow. And even though they were in uninhabited areas with no ducks (or pigs) they still slowly died off even with my aggressive intervention.
Today I finally realized that I also cannot all the rest of you despite my very best efforts.
I was very proud of you for thriving for the one day you did, considering everything you endured and suffered through, but the ammonia and food particles from the duck poop and probably the displaced eggs that were discreetly laid on you finally took the last bit of green you had left. I hope and pray that the next yard you’re able to grace is able to provide you with nutritious soil and no heavy traffic so you can be as glorious as I know you can be. Until then (or until I can afford to spend another 500.00 to buy more) I will wipe away the tears when I see the dirt spots in the duck pen as I remember the day I lost 3 pounds in 105 degree heat making sure the area was graded to facilitate drainage and the day I installed yard drains to be sure you didn’t drown.
I was hoping that the ducks could roam around their pen without the fear of any of them getting bumblefoot from the clay undertones and small rocks they kept digging up, but without you, I will not have peace of mind. I do hope that you find a patch of green in the sky, and until we meet again, I thank you for your short lived service to my duck pen. Since you were not with us for very much time, I cannot discuss any grand gestures made, or life changing events that took place because of you….only what my dreams were. Tonight you will be placed in the compost bin, this is something that I know nothing about, and have never used, but it felt more appropriate than dumping you in the trash. RIP sod.
If you want to attempt something yourself and you’re unsure how to do it properly, just don’t. Hire professionals. Basnight was able to fix my yard and I am forever grateful. Thanks Basnight Land & Lawn! My sad sod story allowed me to speak on behalf of other inexperienced people who may be thinking of tackling similar projects on their own. Save money, save time, hire a professional.
Written by Brittany S. (a non-DIY homeowner)
- Which Backyard Outdoor Living Space is Right for You?
With summer approaching quickly and temperatures rising throughout Virginia, you may be looking for ways to improve your backyard and make it more “livable.” School will be out soon, and your backyard has the potential to become THE hangout spot of the season.
However, summer in Virginia can be hot and unbearable without a source of shade or area to relax, and adding an outdoor living space is one of the best ways to spend more time outside. With so many options available for outdoor living spaces, it can be tough to choose which is right for you. Although our experts are always ready to talk with you help you decide, we’ve outlines a few pros and cons to give you some ideas before you pick up the phone:
- Pros: This type of outdoor living space provides the perfect amount of shade for outdoor relaxing and activities while still being an open and airy space. They are also extremely customizable, which means you can cover an entire outdoor kitchen, or just a small space in your yard to hang a swinging bench!
- Cons: A pergola will protect you from the sun, but not from rain.
- Pros: A covered patio provides the most amount of shade and protection against weather. If you are planning on dining outdoors or hosting parties and don’t want to worry about them getting rained out, a covered patio may be the outdoor living space for you!
- Cons: A covered patio will block the sun almost completely, so it may not be the best option for poolside relaxing.
Open living space
- Pros: An open living space allows you to have a designated relaxation and hangout area, without the commitment of a covered space! Open living spaces are especially great for poolscapes and fire pits. Though they offer no shade, umbrellas and other décor can be added to block the harsh sun.
- Cons: Open living spaces offer no protection from rain.
If you’re ready for the outdoor living space of your dreams for a better, more relaxing summer, give the experts at Basnight Land and Lawn a call at (757) 436-9617, or use our online contact form.
- Work Hard, Play Harder: Four Ways to Enjoy a Spring Lawn
When the spring weather begins to warm up it is natural to begin to tackle the overdue yard work and mile-long task list. But as the old saying goes “all work and no play makes jack a dull boy…” there needs to be time for plenty of rest and relaxation. So after you’ve trimmed the hedges, mowed the lawn, watered the flowers and picked the weeds, take some time for yourself.
1. The classic option is to enjoy the springtime sun with a glass of your favorite beverage (preferably paired with a tiny umbrella) while watching the sun set. Sit on the porch, lay on the grass, whatever suits your fancy. But leave your smartphone and laptop indoors and just relax in the beauty of nature.
2. If you must bring a smartphone or laptop, you can definitely use it to enjoy your lawn in a different way. Share photos of your accomplishment, your kingdom, your humble abode. You can become the king (or queen) of social media on your block and simultaneously show off your golf-course-like landscape. It’s a win-win. And if you have a professional camera, taking time to take interesting pictures of a familiar place can help you break artists block.
3. Host a party outdoors. After you have sufficiently shared your accomplishment on Facebook and Twitter, some of your friends will want to check in and make sure that the results haven’t been photoshopped. Invite them over for night out on the deck. Get burgers on the grill, light some tiki torches, and have fun. Make sure to spray for mosquitoes first though.
4. If you’re a little more active, and want to vary your workout routine, practicing yoga or other relatively stationary activities outdoors can be a nice change of scenery. Yoga is a nice exercise to try because it is appropriate for all ages, focuses on relaxation and breathing, and clears the mind.
You don’t need to go to a spa, travel the world, or climb an ancient mountain to find your happy place; that place is already in your backyard if you can imagine it. And if your home is still far from being an oasis, call the professionals at Basnight Land & Lawn to get it there.
- Pave the Way to a Better Backyard
The weather is finally warming up in Virginia, and you’re probably feeling ready to spend more time outside in the sun. Unfortunately, after the long, cold winter we had, many homeowners have put off projects and their backyards aren’t quite the relaxing area they want it to be.
- Winter Burn: Seasonal Landscaping Problems
This month’s weather has been incredibly confusing for Virginia residents. The cold, rain, and then warmth cycles make it difficult to dress in the morning and maintain a comfortable temperature in our homes. You may have also noticed that the strange weather is affecting your lawn!
If your plants are looking dead or rust-brown in color, they may be experiencing what is referred to as “winter burn.” The heavy snow and freezing temperatures we experienced in December and January have caused winter burn on many evergreen plants due to the lack of water being transferred to leaves when the ground is frozen, and with the sun shining brightly, it evaporates any water already in the leaves. As temperatures rise, and plants begin to sprout new leaves, the damaged areas begin to drop off, leaving areas of the plant bare.
It can be nearly impossible to repair plants already suffering from winter burn, but you can remove the dead areas of the plant and provide a healthy environment with new soil, fertilizer and plenty of water to allow for new growth. If the plant is completely dead and presents no new growth, you’ll need to completely remove the plant to prevent rot.
Because of the often and unpredictable Virginia winters, it is difficult to plan ahead and completely avoid winter burn and/or damage to plants without consulting a professional. If you are planning a new garden or replacing dead plants and want to avoid winter burn, contact the experts at Basnight Land & Lawn who know when and where to place plants to keep them healthy and thriving.
Now is the perfect time to start working on your garden so that it is in tip-top shape and ready for spring blooms. If you need to repair winter burn damage or plan your garden to prevent damage next winter, give us a call today at (757) 436-9617 or use our online consultation form.
- Get the Look: Modern Landscaping Design
Landscaping and design are both important for setting the theme of your home’s exterior, and materials and color scheme you choose for your patios, pavers and outdoor features are what will really help you achieve the look you want. Creating a cohesive design depends on all of the parts of your yard meshing well together. Today we will discuss the modern look of landscaping design.
“Modern” has been one of the most popular style trends for homes across Pinterest, home and garden blogs and magazines for the past few years. Though you may not be able to change the design of your house to achieve the look, there are a few steps you can take in your yard. Here are a few to try:
1. Think about shape: Whether on the home itself or in the yard, most modern designs are defined by clean lines and minimalism. When adding a water feature, fire pit or walkway, using symmetrical square or rectangle shapes will give your yard that organized look of a modern home.
2. Use color strategically: Modern-themed homes use materials in shades of whites and grays to make the space feel more open and empty – even your yard is full of features! The experts as Basnight can find the perfect colors to match your existing features or help you redesign your yard for a complete modern color scheme.
3. Materials: Rather than using bricks or uneven concrete blocks for water features, walkways and walls, look for more natural materials to use. Wood, stone and metal will blend the features into the environment more and create the light, airy feel that defines modern homes. Basnight carries a large variety of materials to choose from, and we can help you pick one that gives you the look you want.
If you’re ready to redesign your lawn to fit the modern theme of your dreams, call Basnight Land and Lawn at (757) 436-9617 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation.
- Fresh start in 2018
January is the time for renewal, and is when many people begin their New Year’s resolutions, working to improve everything from finances their personal health, and even their homes! Though we may have just received a heaping dose of snow, this month is perfect for planning and starting of your exterior home projects.
Rather than spending time throughout the year completing renovations and landscaping, start fresh in 2018 by getting started now! This may seem like a bold and stressful goal, but there are many benefits to tackling your projects early on. Here are a few benefits of a complete overhaul, starting with January planning and design:
More time for yourself: By checking off your backyard renovation plans within the first month of the year, you save more time for activities you love in the next 11 months. Scheduling professionals for specific times during busy seasons and waiting for more materials can be a hassle, so coordinating multiple projects now and having a crew come out just once will save you from stress later!
Less mess: Nothing is more unsightly in a neighborhood than a house that always has equipment and messes around the yard. Completing your plans at one time means your home’s exterior will look neat and tidy throughout the rest of the year (and will be the envy of your neighbors)!
Less expenses: Whether you’re redesigning your landscaping, installing an outdoor kitchen or paving a new walkway, hiring a professional is essential for tougher jobs to guarantee great results. It is going to be more cost-effective to hire them once for one large job rather than hiring them multiple times for different tasks.
The snow is melting and it’s time to get a fresh start in 2018! Give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or use our online form and let the experts at Basnight Land & Lawn create the outdoor space of your dreams.
- Out With The Old, In With The New (Yard, That Is)
2017 is almost over and although the end of the year can be busy with holidays and family gatherings, it is time to start thinking about the new year and all it will bring. We present out with the old, in with the new (yard, that is).
This past year was exciting for homeowners, with a shifted focus to outdoor spaces and fun new trends that were both beautiful and added value to homes. In backyards, there were more green plants added, natural materials used in walkways, seating and outdoor kitchens, and carefully arranged spaces for more family time. We were excited to help our customers put these trends to action and loved seeing happy results!
2018 is just around the corner, and it seems that in the new year, reinvigorating backyards will go even farther. Garden Design Magazine predicts several trends ahead, and Basnight Land & Lawn experts are ready to help you incorporate these new ideas into your own yard! Here are a few 2018 trends we can help with:
1. Small gardens: Design is everything when planting a garden in a small space, and your garden should look amazing from the start of the year! We’ll work with you to create a design that suits the specific characteristics of your home while also fitting within your budget.
2. Dining spaces: More and more people are finding ways to spend time outdoors, and this means outdoor dining areas. This has always been one of our areas of expertise, and know how to make your outdoor seating areas and kitchens a tranquil place that fits your style.
3. Enclosed, meditative spaces: Creating a more personal space for a calm and meditative environment will take priority in 2018, and our landscapers can help you create beautiful, natural boundaries around your home. Basnight is also a leader in water feature and fountain installation, perfect elements for a relaxing backyard oasis.
4. Extending useable space: Create an extension of your current space by utilizing designs you already have in your home. Use a “focal” piece to transition an unusable space into a place where everyone wants to go!
If you’re ready to get a head start on these trends by transforming your yard in the new year, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or schedule a consultation online.
- What’s on Your Wish List? New Yard?
The holiday season is finally here! We know how busy the next few months can be with gift shopping, hosting family and friends, and holiday dinners. However, it is important to remember to take some time for yourself and consider your own wish list as we head into November.
Often when thinking about our home, we want to impress guests, the neighbors or potential buyers. As the current resident though, you are the one who sees your home every day. Your home and yard should look the way you’d like them to be! Think about what activities you love and take a look at areas of your backyard and decide what is on your wish list this holiday season. For instance:
- Do you frequently have family gatherings or friends over? It may be time to add an outdoor living space, fire pit, kitchen or seating area to your wish list! If you are wondering how you can increase time spent with loved ones in your backyard, adding additional, comfortable seating that encourages socializing may be the solution.
- Are you unhappy with the state of your lawn and don’t have time to maintain it? Monthly maintenance by our professionals needs to be on your list! Basnight provides services for residential properties keeping irrigations systems working, winterization, grounds maintenance, and service repairs.
- Are you bored with your backyard and don’t want to spend time in it? Everyone should have their own backyard oasis that they can relax in. If you aren’t spending time in yours, you may need to add some excitement! Add a water feature, pond or landscaping to your wish list and have a beautiful outdoor space right outside your back door!
This holiday season, let Basnight Land & Lawn make your wishes come true. If you’re looking for the perfect outdoor space, landscaping, water features or monthly maintenance, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.
- Fall Backyard Fun
As the weather cools down, people tend to start spending less time in their backyards. Unfortunately, this means they are missing out on all of the fall fun activities their backyard has to offer! We know you put in hard work during the warmer months to make sure your yard looks great, so why not extend the use of it into the fall months? Here are a few ideas for outdoor fall activities you can do at your own home:
- Movie night: Hosting a movie night in your backyard is simple, fun and easy to clean up. If your town doesn’t have a drive-in theatre, you can create the experience right at home. This activity is perfect for the month of October when everyone loves to watch spooky movies – all you’ll need is a projector and snacks! Tell your guests to bring their own blankets or dress warmly.
- Bonfires: Nothing sparks memories of fall like a bonfire. Whether it is an outdoor fireplace or a stone fire pit, your guests will associate your home with fond memories for years to come. During October, bonfires are great for toasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories.
- Pumpkin carving: Leave the mess outside with this classic activity! Pumpkin carving is fun for people of any age, and your friends and family will have a blast being together in one spot to compare their gourdgeous artwork. For an added twist, turn it into a carving competition!
- Camping: If your family loves to camp but doesn’t have time for a weekend trip during the busy holiday season, your backyard can become the perfect campsite. This activity is great for children because they will have the safety and security of being at home with all of the fun that comes with sleeping outdoors in a tent.
At Basnight Land & Lawn, we believe that backyards can be the key to bringing people together during the fall season. If you’re looking for the perfect fire pit, outdoor lighting or landscaping to fuel your fall activities, give us a call at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact form online to find out what options are best for you.
- Preparing Your Yard for Fall
Fall is the busiest time of the year for most families – kids are back in school, being driven to and from extracurricular activities and having friends over all while parents are getting ready for a holiday season full of family visits, travel and parties. The last thing you’ll want to worry about through the whirlwind of fall fun is working on your yard. This is the month that is time to prepare your yard for cooler temperatures. Prepare your yard for the upcoming fall season by doing a few things now. Here are a few tasks to check off your list:
1. Be sure to clean up your garden by pulling weeds, trimming back leaves and deadheading flowers. If you have a larger garden with many seasonal vegetables and annual flowers, you’ll want to pull these and clean up the area before temperatures get cold and the ground begins to freeze.
2. Continue to mow your lawn until the growing season fully ends, but plan on coring and fertilizing your yard to protect it from heavy rains and relieve it from pressure and damage that can accumulate during summer activities.
3. If you have water features in your yard, consider whether they will need to be drained or not to prevent damage during freezing and thawing. Smaller fountains can be drained and stored inside, but more complicated features may require the help of one of our maintenance professionals.
4. We know you’ll want to keep using your pool until the very last warm day of the year, but now is a good time to make sure you have all of the right materials to prepare your pool for closing. Check to make sure your items for drainage and cleaning are organized and ready to go!
5. Consider adding a fire pit and outdoor seating. A professionally installed fire pit is a fast and easy way to have a fire with friends and family during the fall, and causes no damage to your yard. Now is a great time to add a fire pit so that it is ready for the first chilly night of the season!
Many fall maintenance tasks will require the help of a professional. The experts at Basnight Land and Lawn are ready to help you prepare your yard now so your fall is easy-going and open for family activities and fun! Whether you need a patio or fireplace, call us today at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the Contact form.
- Back To School? Back To Backyards.
Heading back to school can be a big deal for your kids. It means they are making new friends, learning new things, and gaining new life experiences. Keeping the family connected during the busy back to school season can be difficult, but the solution may be in your own backyard.
Your home’s backyard can provide the perfect place for gatherings of all kinds, and a well-designed yard can be the key to bringing family and friends together during the school year. As the weather cools, opportunities for outdoor activities open up and you have the chance to make your home the place to be. Here are a few items you can add to your yard to provide the ultimate social space for you and your kids:
Seating. Adding purposeful seating can bring people to your backyard and make them want to stay. A seating-wall is perfect for adding to an outdoor fireplace and is easier to manage than chairs. What can be a comfortable spot for your kids to do their homework after school can also become a warm social circle during cooler nights. Your kids stay closer, and your house becomes “the spot.”
An outdoor kitchen. An outdoor kitchen makes for a relaxing cooking experience and keeps dirt from being tracked inside your home during serving and cleanup. Guests will be impressed and time for socialization will double with more room to linger around the cooking area. Plus, cooking outdoors is fun and we can provide all the functions of an inside kitchen.
Lighting. As the summer winds down, hours of daylight decrease. Adding accent lighting to your backyard will create a warm environment and keep friends and family together longer as the sun fades away.
If you’re ready to create the perfect space for your kids to socialize after school and for your friends and family to bond, contact Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617 and find out what options are best for your home.
- Best Landscape Lighting Ideas
It’s unofficially summertime and that means lots of warm nights spent outdoors with family and friends. The longer days contribute more natural light, but later nights require an outdoor lighting scheme to both highlight beautiful landscaping and keep traffic areas safe. Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in landscape lighting for walkways, pool decks, foliage accents, and more. Here are some tips for effectively lighting your outdoor areas!
Draw the eye strategically. Effective walkway lighting, for instance, helps bring people from point A to point B safely and with visual interest. It should also work with low light at dusk and moonlight.
Follow the “less-is-more” adage. When it comes to landscape lighting, there is such thing as too much. Highlight the landscape features you love and make sure people can get where they are going safely. Include more accent lighting than that and it may be excessive.
Don’t be afraid of natural light sources. Whether it’s a firepit or solar-powered pathway lights, harnessing the power of natural light can save you money and seriously beautify your landscape.
Play with warm and cool tones. One way to make your outdoor features really pop is to mix warm and cool light fixtures (consider the difference between moonlight and candlelight).
Get bold. Bright, bold colors are not off limits for many landscape aesthetics. Take this pool lighting, for instance.
Are you ready to upgrade and enhance your landscape lighting? Call Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617. We can create an innovative lighting design that will keep your yard looking great all day and into the night.
- Different Types of Fire Pits for Every Landscape
There are few things better on a cool spring or summer night than snuggling up next to a backyard fire pit. It’s one of the most popular hardscaping requests we receive and clients typically have a lot of questions about the options available. A good fire pit is beautiful, safe, easy to light, and usable all year long. But all fire pits are not created equal, in size, shape, or function (see our fire pit gallery here).
Classic 360° Fire Pits
When someone thinks of a fire pit, this is the type they typically picture. It can be either wood-burning or gas-powered and constructed with various types of stone. Some customers opt for built in seating while others prefer to place chairs around the structure. Either way, this traditional style will keep everyone warm and provide a comfortable gathering spot.
While not technically “fire pits,” outdoor fireplaces like this one have been gaining popularity. They are often combined with outdoor kitchens and tend to save more space than traditional circular fire pits.
Gas Fire Tables
These come in a variety of heights and have a contemporary aesthetic for a streamlined backyard or patio. Homeowners who invest in a fire table must be able to safely install a gas line as well.
We believe that there is a fire pit (or related fire feature) for every home. It’s important to think of fire pit installation as part of the whole, because the surrounding hardscaping and landscaping help make it functional, safe, and comfortable. Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in fire pit design and installation. We build the perfect fire feature to enhance your landscaping and your home. Call us today at (757) 436-9617 to get an estimate for your project.
- Pump Up Your Pool Deck for Summer
If you have an in-ground pool, now is the time to think about opening it and getting ready for summer swimming. While many people just think about clearing the water, testing PH levels and getting any debris out of the pool itself, there are a number of other things you can do to make the most of pool-prep, including upgrading the pool deck itself.
When installing a new pool or renovating the pool area, the first aspect to consider is safety. It’s important to follow all local codes and regulations in order to protect your family, friends, and property. One way we like to enhance safety is by installing slip-resistant porcelain pavers around the pool area. The Mirage line is both frost and skid-resistant and is a beautiful choice for any pool deck.
You’ve taken the time and money to invest in your pool. Why not make the pool area even more attractive with water features, accent lighting, hardscape installations, or an outdoor kitchen? These additions make entertaining easier and more fun for everyone.
Firepits are another great addition to any landscape, but especially for one with a pool. Cooler summer nights will be much cozier when friends and family can get out of the pool and warm up by the fire.
If you’re ready to update your pool area, now is the time! Let Basnight do the work to get your pool ready for summer entertaining. Call (757) 436-9617 to talk about your project or contact us online. We also do work for the homeowner’s associations, condo associations and more.
- Do You Have a Love/Hate Relationship With Your Lawn?
During the winter, the condition of your lawn may be low on the list of your priorities. It’s generally on the brown side till spring. This year, however, the weather has been warmer than usual and you may be noticing greener grass or even weeds sprouting up already. Many of our clients are asking, “What can I do to have a beautiful landscape this season?”
As a homeowner, a great looking yard can make all the difference in both curb appeal and the way you see your home. A bad looking yard, on the other hand, can be a real thorn in your side. It’s common for people to have a love-hate relationship with their landscapes, but you don’t have to be one of them! Basnight Land & Lawn specializes in landscape design and installation for beautiful lawns all year. There are plenty of ways to enhance curb appeal that are “evergreen:”
- Ponds, fountains, and other water features
- Unique stone walkways
- Bright succulents that thrive no matter the weather
- Accent lighting to highlight features and promote safety when it’s dark.
Call or contact Basnight Land & Lawn today before the spring rush begins to talk about how we can work together to make your landscape one you love!
- Prioritize Commercial Grounds Maintenance: 2017 Resolution for Businesses
Did you make any personal New Year’s resolutions this year? Maybe you want to get fit, spend more time with family, or be more mindful about spending money. The new year is a time to start fresh and reorient goals and habits. This reorientation doesn’t have to stop with you. This year, think about the ways you can improve and add ease to your professional life. If you are involved in building maintenance, property management or a homeowners association, consider focusing on your organization’s grounds and landscaping. Basnight Land & Lawn can help.
Beautiful and well-managed landscaping makes a difference. It has an even bigger impact when the people in charge of the organization don’t have to worry about its maintenance. Make it a professional goal this year to feel good about the way your grounds look without having to worry about maintaining them.
Basnight Land and Lawn can develop a structured commercial landscaping plan for your organization that is based on the unique needs of your customers, employees, and/or residents. We offer:
- Design and installation of landscaping
- Grounds maintenance
- Subdivision entrance features
- Irrigation design (start up and winterization)
- Concrete walkway and driveway design
- Accent lighting
- Snow removal
- Pest control
- Large-scale lighting
- Turf and ornamental treatment applications
Call us today at (757) 436-9617 to learn more about what we can do for our commercial clients.
- Does Your Business Have A Snow Removal Plan?
It may not exactly feel like it now, but Hampton Roads is in for a cold winter that is likely to include some ice and snow. Past years have taught us that by the time snow hits, it’s too late to get ahead of slippery sidewalks and damage to landscaping. Having a smart snow removal plan is extremely important for business owners both in terms of customer/employee safety and peace of mind during stressful weather events like snow storms.
Basnight Land & Lawn works for companies, HOA’s and other commercial entities all year long, designing and preserving functional landscapes. During the winter, these clients reserve us to be on high alert for snow and ice removal. These services include:
- Landscape protection (a particular challenge for water front properties)
- Snow removal from public sidewalks, driveways and more
- Landscaping winterization before the snow starts falling and we experience frequent deep freezes.
- Ice and slip-hazard management
As a business owner or HOA leader, we understand that you have enough on your plate to have to worry about scrambling to keep your commercial property safe and intact in the event of a snowstorm. Let Basnight do the work for you. Get on our snow removal priority list today and find yourself ahead of the game when bad weather hits this winter. Call a landscaping technician at (757) 436-9617 to talk about your snow removal plan.
- Creating a Tranquil Outdoor Space
The holidays are approaching and life is likely getting busier and perhaps a bit stressful. At Basnight Land & Lawn, we believe that your home should be a place where you can you go to escape from the hustle and bustle rather than a place where it finds you. Part of keeping your cool during the holidays, especially with our mild Virginia Beach weather, is having an outdoor space that makes you smile and breathe a little easier.
Is there an aspect of your home’s landscape that draws your eye in a bad way? While you may not realize it, little things like that can add stress and negativity to your life. As the days get darker and the weather gets colder, consider these ways to make your yard and patio a positive place.
- Light your walkways. In winter, many of us get home from work after the sun has already gone down. Outdoor path lighting is a great way to show off your landscaping at night and a practical way to stay safe.
- Invest in a fire pit. In our last blog post, we showcased a beautiful patio, complete with a fire pit. More and more of our clients are asking for custom, built-in fire pits, in part because having one makes enjoying being outdoors all year long a little cozier.
- Keep the color in your landscape. From pansies to winter honeysuckle, there are plenty of annuals that grow well during our temperate winters. Basnight specializes in andscape design and installation and we can help you brighten up your yard for a season that is cold and gray in the eyes of many.
If any of your exterior spaces are stressing you out, let it go by calling Basnight Land & Lawn at 757-436-9617! We will create a landscaping or hardscaping solution that suits your unique needs.
- Fire Pit Before & After: Project Highlight!
As fall creeps in and the nights get crisp, many of us long for evenings spent outside around a fire before it gets too cold out. While store-bought fire pits, chimeneas, or even bonfires might be the best solutions for some, custom built-in fire pits add lasting value to a home’s landscape.
Check out this before & after of a recent backyard fire pit project in Chesapeake:
The new patio and walkway make use of sleek pavers and really bring the whole backyard together with the fire pit as the focus. There is plenty of room for extra chairs around the firepit, but we love that people can gather on the stone arc easily and comfortably. The accent lighting around the arc makes the area safer and adds an extra touch of beauty.
Do you want to make a fire pit the centerpiece of your backyard or patio? Call Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617 or contact us online.
- Tips for Evaluating Grounds Maintenance Contract Bids
As we head into the season for RFPs and bids for commercial grounds maintenance contracts, we find property managers often turn to us for help in evaluating the services described. It can be hard to create an apples-to-apples comparison, and that becomes even more difficult when measuring intangibles, such as expertise. Continue reading →
- Oyster & South Festival Returns November 19th
The incredibly popular Oyster & South Festival returns to Greenbrier Farms in Chesapeake on Saturday, November 19th. Basnight Land & Lawn is a proud sponsor and partner with the farm for this event and it’s one of the region’s most popular fall festivals. Enjoy seasonal oysters and other seafood, fresh food from area restaurants, live music, beverages, monster truck rides and plenty of harvest time fun! Continue reading →
- How Much Water Does a Fescue Lawn Need?
In general, fescue turf grasses need about 3/4″ – 1″ of water per week to maintain a nice green color and active growth. However, during certain times of the summer when high temperatures are the norm, you should allow lawns to naturally slow down in growth. You may even let the lawn go almost completely dormant in hot weather. There are a lot of factors that impact your lawn’s water needs, including soil and weather. Here are a few guidelines we have found get great results.
- Decide beforehand. Decide before the summer heat arrives to either water lawns consistently as needed throughout the season, or let lawns go dormant as conditions turn hot and dry. Do not rotate back-and-forth. In other words, don’t let the grass turn totally brown, then apply enough water to green it up, then let the grass go dormant again. Interrupting the lawn’s dormancy actually drains large amounts of food reserves from the plant.
- When is it time to water? The first few warm days of summer do not automatically mean it’s time to water lawns. In fact, allowing lawns to start to go under mild drought stress actually increases rooting. Watch for “foot printing,” or footprints remaining on the lawn after walking across it (instead of leaf blades bouncing back up). Grasses also tend to turn darker in color as they go under drought stress. Sampling the root zone of your soil is another option.
- Water as infrequently as possible. Thoroughly water when you do water, so moisture soaks down to the roots. Exceptions to this general rule are for newly seeded lawns where the surface needs to stay moist, and newly sodded lawns that have not yet rooted into the soil. Otherwise, avoid frequent watering, which promote shallower root systems and weeds (e.g., crabgrass). It is better to water for longer periods of time than more often. For example, 25 minutes three times a week is better than 15 minutes five times a week. A good rule of thumb is to water three to four times a week, watching to weather and adjusting as needed.
- Water early in the day if possible. Given a choice, water early in the day when lawns are normally wet from dew. Avoid midday watering due to excessive evaporation, and at night due to potential increases in disease.
- Water conservation. To help conserve water, mow your lawn at a higher than normal height, avoid applying an excess of nitrogen as warm weather approaches, limit traffic over the lawn, improve turf rooting, control thatch and soil compaction, and avoid pesticide use on drought-stressed lawns. Don’t allow water to hit the driveway or the street.
- Avoid over-watering. Use a rain gauge to measure how much water you’re applying. Over-watering does more than deplete the water supply, it also makes plants prone to pests and adds to stormwater runoff, which pollutes our water systems. By choosing and operating a watering system correctly, you can reduce water bills, insect and disease problems, and maintenance requirements. The more you water your lawn, the faster it grows and the more it needs to be mowed.
- Monitor rainfall. Don’t water the lawn if rains are expected soon. Keep track of rainfall for the week and don’t apply any more water to the lawn than what is absolutely necessary. The guide of about one inch of water per week is only a guide. If your lawn doesn’t get that one inch of water, it’s not going to die.
Below are examples of Brown Patch, a fungus which can be caused by afternoon watering. Contrast that with the great looking Basnight Land & Lawn property pictured above, and give us a call at (757) 436-9617 if you have questions about your property and proper irrigation.
- Project Update: Pool Deck with Custom Waterfall
Recently we gave you a sneak peek into a poolscape project in Virginia Beach using state-of-the-art porcelain pavers from Belgard. These beautiful pavers were the perfect solution for the homeowner, who wanted a pool deck that was both sleek and slip resistant. The next phase of this project was the installation of a poolside waterfall (pictured below):
While the waterfall installation is beautiful during the day, special accent lighting really makes it shine at night-time.
The poolscape designers at Basnight Land & Lawn work directly with the homeowner to create truly custom water features and pool decks. Check out our pool area gallery to see other examples of pool decks and the water feature gallery for more fountains and waterfalls.
If this summer got you thinking about how you might upgrade your pool deck area, call or contact Basnight now to discuss your options.
- Which Plants Should I Choose For My Garden Pond?
“If you throw the pebble in the pond and the rings start circulating that much wider, you’ve done things and created things for people that they didn’t think they’d ever be able to do. That excites me.”- Mindy Grossman
Ponds and other water features can be the crown jewels of landscapes when designed and installed properly. Home and business owners who choose to have garden ponds may not know where to start when devising a plan for their perfect pond, especially when it comes to the types of plants to put in and around it.
Aside from the aesthetic appeal of pond plants (think water lilies) they also play an important role in water filtration and maintaining a balanced environment in the water. There are a few categories of plants to consider to benefit the look and function of your garden pond:
Deep Water Plants
Speaking of water lilies, did you know that they don’t actually “float?” Instead, they anchor themselves to the bottom of water body and grow to the surface so that they appear to float. Deep water plants thrive in, you guessed it, deeper water, and serve as shade for the water and any fish that may be there, too.
True floating plants like water hyacinth, frog bit and water lettuce sit on the surface of the water and act as filters.
Also known as oxygenators, these plants grow completely underwater and help oxygenate the pond through photosynthesis. They also provide great hiding places for fish if you choose to have them. Some submerged plants to consider include water sprite, anacharis and ludwigia.
Bog plants like water poppy, cattails and zephyr lily grow in shallow water around the edges of garden ponds. While they get most of their nutrients from the soil, they effectively filter the water.
At Basnight Land & Lawn, we understand the delicate balance between form and function with garden ponds, water features and landscaping in general. For most homeowners, installing a pond is not a do-it-yourself activity thanks to the highly specific plant needs and filtration technology. Many of the garden pond projects we do actually involve fixing the mistakes of other landscaping companies and DIYers. If you’re interested in adding a pond to your landscape, call us today at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the online contact form.
- Project Highlight: Pool Deck With Porcelain Pavers
As a paver material, porcelain has many benefits. It is frost and skid-resistant and incredibly durable, making it a smart choice for high-traffic outdoor areas like patios, walkways, and especially pool decks. Basnight recently finished a pool deck installation using Belgard’s new Mirage collection of porcelain pavers.
Our client chose these pavers because of their clean, transitional look and slip-resistance (perhaps the most important factor when picking a pool deck material). Belgard outdoor porcelain pavers are also quick to install and highly customizable for any pool area.
Are Porcelain Pavers Right for Your Pool Deck?
When choosing material for pool decking, safety and city codes should be your first concern. The best thing about outdoor porcelain pavers is that they provide slip-resistant safety while still enhancing the beauty of the pool area.
If you are installing a new pool or looking to upgrade your pool decking, Belgard porcelain pavers may be your solution. Visit Belgard’s website to look at the various Mirage styles and call Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617 to talk about custom installation. We specialize in pool deck design and installation and will help you make the best choice for your family’s lifestyle.
- The Votes are In!
Thank You for Voting for Basnight Land & Lawn Best of Hampton Roads!
We are proud to announce that Basnight Land & Lawn has won a number of exciting awards in this year’s Best of Chesapeake and Best of Virginia Beach contests.
Best of Chesapeake:
Garden Center/Nursery: GOLD
Outdoor Lighting Services: GOLD
Best of Virginia Beach
Garden Center/Nursery: SILVER
Outdoor Lighting Services: SILVER
Congratulations to all the local businesses that competed in the Best of Hampton Roads contests this year. We are extremely thankful for the opportunity to be a part of this incredible community!
And remember, if you need landscaping services, plants and materials or help with outdoor lighting, call Basnight Land & Lawn at (757) 436-9617.
- Choosing a Patio Walkway
Decks and patios are meant to be places for relaxation, celebration and entertainment. Ideally, these outdoor spaces are seamless extensions from the interior to the exterior of a home that reflect the unique style and address the functional needs of the homeowner. At Basnight Land & Lawn, we view the pavers and walkways that lead to and make up patios as vital transition areas that deserve attention and artistry. Take these elements into consideration when choosing the material for your walkway:
- Form. Whichever material you pick to pave the way, make sure it complements what comes before. For example, if you have warm hardwood floors inside your home, think about mimicking that warmth outside with red brick pavers. Also consider the way the pavers complement the landscaping surrounding the walkways.
- Combinations. To add a ton of visual interest to your patio, we recommend combining materials (like slate and bluestone or bricks and stamped concrete).
- Function. Does your walkway lead to a pool deck? Think about choosing brick or another “slip-proof” paver to account for safety. Concerned about damaging the pavers around an outdoor kitchen or grill? Make sure your contractor uses the recommended sealant to protect from stains and burns.
- Maintenance. Different types of pavers have different maintenance and cleaning needs and some need more attention than others. If you don’t want to be cleaning your patio walkways monthly, think about brick or aggregate stone (loose stones). If you don’t mind the maintenance, natural stone pavers like granite, marble or limestone (all require a sealant for outdoor use) may work well for you.
If you are ready to upgrade or redesign your patio or just the walkway, call or contact Basnight Land & Lawn. Our talented team can help you make the decisions that best fit your style and functional needs. Call today at (757) 436-9617.
- Vote Basnight Land & Lawn Best of Hampton Roads!
We’re up for a few honors this year in the Best of Chesapeake and Best of Virginia Beach contests! If you don’t mind, please take a a few seconds to vote for us. There are two easy ways to vote! You can head on over to the Best of Hampton Roads website, create an account, search under “Home Needs” in both Chesapeake and Virginia Beach and vote for Basnight in the following categories for BOTH cities:
- Best Garden Center/Nursery
- Best Landscaper
- Best Outdoor Lighting Services
Want a simpler voting method? Text 21333 and enter the following 4 letter codes (in separate, individual text messages*):
*(Regular Text Messaging Rates Apply)
Thank you for your loyalty, your business, and your time! We immensely appreciate your votes of confidence.
- You’re Invited to See Our Belgard Display
Are you considering using pavers for a patio, walkway or retaining wall? This is a perfect time to see our Belgard display at Greenbrier Farms and Tidewater Mulch and Materials in Chesapeake. Our landscape design team is one of only 69 outdoor contractors in the country that are “Belgard Master Craftsman” certified (and the only one in Hampton Roads). If you’re considering a paver project, contact the professionals at Basnight Land & Lawn for information about our landscape design and construction services.
- Visit Basnight at the Mid-Atlantic Home & Outdoor Living Show
Basnight Land & Lawn will have our famous display set up at booth 929 at the 2016 Mid-Atlantic Home & Outdoor Living show February 19-21 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The show is presented by Eagle Bay Hardscape Products and Basnight will give away a Eagle Bay fire pit! Continue reading →
- Drainage Solutions for a Soggy Yard
Living in Hampton Roads, most of us have experienced the pervasive effects of flooding after heavy rain, especially in the springtime. For homeowners, this means facing potential flooding and damage to landscaping thanks to poor drainage planning. That’s why we believe that every yard should have a “drainage strategy.” At Basnight, we specialize in creating, implementing and maintaining drainage strategies for both residential and commercial properties.
Do you find that after it rains your yard doesn’t just seem wet, but mushy and waterlogged or takes days to dry up? This not only makes it impossible to enjoy the lawn during the rainy season; it also contributes to turf rot, root rot, and the “drowning” of plants that don’t require a lot of water. Perhaps one of the biggest risks of bad drainage is damage to a home’s foundation. If you routinely have a soggy lawn, it is very likely that you may soon experience these issues as well.
Potential Drainage Solutions
While we know that every lawn and home are different, there are a few standard fixes and drainage strategies in which our landscaping technicians specialize.
- Replacing Beds and Adding Plants. One way to minimize the impact of poor lawn drainage is to fortify existing plants with ones that thrive with a great deal of water. Those plants can help “drink up” the excess water and are best installed with a new bed of soil. This solution generally does not completely solve the problem but can help manage it slowly but surely.
- Regrading the Lawn. If your lawn is completely flat with no drainage contingency, water after a heavy rain can only sit on the turf surface as it as nowhere else to go. One way to fix this is to create a downgrade in the yard.
- Installing Drain Tile Systems. Drain tiles are installed to help collect and redistribute water in soggy lawns. The best part about these tiles is that they encourage reabsorption in the soil.
These are just a few of the ways our experts manage drainage issues around homes and commercial properties. Let us come to you, assess the issue, and provide an estimate for a workable solution. Poor drainage goes beyond a soggy lawn and fixing it works to the benefit of your landscape, your lifestyle and the foundation of your home. Call us today at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the Contact Us form now.
- Basnight Wins National Contest With Anchor Wall Systems
Basnight Land & Lawn Recognized for Outstanding Design and Use for Retaining Wall Solutions
Anchor Wall Systems, Inc* recently held a National Photo Contest requesting Landscape Designers & Contractors to send photos showing how the ‘Highland Stone’ product was used in a hardscaping project. Out of the many submissions Anchor had received, they had chosen a paver ‘Outdoor Living’ design by our very own Christian Basnight. The picture was photographed and submitted and by our local distributor representative Andy Mooney. Anchor Walls Systems mentioned that Christian won the contest due to his creative use of the ‘Highland Stone’ product within a ‘Unique Water Feature’.
As you can see, Basnight’s landscape designers will go the extra mile during the design stage to ensure you have both a beautiful and functional hardscape that will last many years to come. Also, our installers are ICPI certified**. Give Basnight Land & Lawn a call today for a free consultation and let our designers create the ‘Outdoor Space’ of your dreams. #BuildSomethingBeautiful #NaturesOutdoorContractor
**ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute), sets the standards for the hardscape paver industry in North America. ICPI provides ongoing education and certifications for paver designers and installers.
- What Property Managers Should Look for In a Landscaping Company
As a business in Hampton Roads that has been around for nearly three decades, we understand the landscaping needs of other businesses in the area. We know how critical it is for you as a property manager that your company, residential complex, or other property makes a great first impression on visitors. That is part of the reason why so many business owners and property managers in the community choose Basnight for their commercial landscaping maintenance and installation needs. It’s important to remember that no two landscapers are alike. Look for these qualities when making your choice.
All properties come with their own unique parameters, needs and crises (Yes! There is such a thing as a landscaping crisis!). An experienced landscaping company rarely encounters a “new” situation and has skilled technicians who know exactly what to do. Younger companies often have a higher number of novice workers who may not be able to tackle a complicated project.
Speaking of workers, you’ll want to be sure that the landscaper you choose has enough staff to respond to a service request and complete a job in a reasonable amount of time. Unlike “two men and a truck,” a larger landscaping service like Basnight Land & Lawn can efficiently accommodate a high volume of clients and give each one thorough attention.
There is a great deal of value in keeping a large fleet of maintenance equipment that is up to date and in good condition. You don’t want the riding mower that is supposed to keep your property’s grounds pristine breaking down when the job is half finished. Our sister company, Tidewater Mulch, sells and services high quality power equipment, so you don’t have to worry about technical difficulties getting in the way of your project when you work with Basnight.
Whether you need basic grounds maintenance, winterization, custom outdoor lighting, pest control, or any other commercial landscaping service, Basnight has got you covered. We are an award winning, experienced contractor with trained and certified professionals who are ready to devote energy to your property. Request an estimate by calling (757) 436-9617 or filling out the commercial estimate request form.
- Now Is the Time to Prepare for Winter Snow Removal
We’ve experienced an unseasonably warm fall season this year, but as winter approaches, it’s smart to be prepared for snowy, icy weather. Unchecked snow and ice not only pose safety hazards to your customers and employees; they can also hurt business.
We all know the frenzy that overtakes Hampton Roads every time snow is in the forecast. Many people wait until the last minute to prepare and the same goes for business owners. At Basnight Land & Lawn, we tend to get panicked calls from HOA leadership and business owners in the days prior to a snowstorm. Since we serve the clients who reserve us for snow management services first, those who call last minute don’t receive immediate service. Now is the time to contact us about snow management so you don’t have to worry when the forecast calls for a snow plow.
Our commercial snow removal services include:
- Ice control on key pathways, stairs and sidewalks
- Removal of snow from public sidewalks and driveways in subdivisions
- Snow management on commercial properties
- Commercial landscaping winterization
- Protection of landscaping, especially on waterfront properties
At Basnight Land & Lawn, we specialize in making outdoor areas beautiful, functional and safe. Don’t find yourself unable to conduct business because of something as predictable as snow. Call us today at (757) 436-9617 to get on our snow removal list. Let Basnight work with you to develop a personalized snow and ice management plan.
- Mr. Basnight Presents Award at SEVA
Recently, the Basnight Team showed their support and attended SEVA CAI’s (Southeastern Virginia Chapter Community Associations Institute) Annual Awards Ceremony & Installation of their 2016 Officers & Directors. This year the event was held on December 4th at the Westin, located in Town Center, Virginia Beach. Kent Basnight, president of Basnight Land and Lawn, went on stage to lend a helping hand to present the names of a few Award Winners as they came up to receive their trophy. The awards are a way to show appreciation to SEVA CAI members who go above-and-beyond to assist the chapter and its various committees with events, education and membership recruiting.
What is CAI? For over 40 years, Community Associations Institute has been providing education and resources to the volunteer homeowners who govern their communities and the professionals who support them.
- Smokeless Fire Pit
The cool seasonal weather is here and many people are gathering around the fire pit to continue enjoying their outdoor spaces. A fire pit not only provides heat, but also light for entertaining family and friends in the evening hours. One of the drawbacks to using a wood burning fire pit is to be on the side where the wind is blowing smoke towards you and your guests. People tend to move to one side of the fire pit to avoid the smoke. And when the wind changes directions it is time to move again. Basnight Land & Lawn has a solution. We have introduced the Zentro Fire Pit insert, utilizing an innovative new approach to design, which is ‘Nearly Smokeless’. The Zentro Fire Pit insert is well constructed and affordable.
- Oyster and South Festival 2015
Are You Ready For The Best Oyster Festival in Hampton Roads? Mouth Watering Oysters… Oysters… Oysters & Other Seafood! Delicious Fresh Foods from Local Restaurants, Cool Beverages, Live Music by local favorite Buck Shot, Monster Truck Rides with Stone Crusher and Plenty of Good Old Southern Style Fun!
Benefits CHKD (www.chkd.org) and The Sidney M. Oman Cancer Center @ the Chesapeake Health Foundation.
THE OYSTER & SOUTH FESTIVAL is coming NOVEMBER 21st from 1PM TO 5PM at Historic Greenbrier Farms in Chesapeake.
Tickets $40 each. Children 12 and under free. Available at Monarch Bank off Hanbury Rd in Chesapeake & Tidewater Mulch & Material @ 225 Sign Pine Road in Chesapeake. You can also purchase ONLINE at www.showclix.com/event/OysterSouthFestival
Greenbrier Farms is at 225 Sign Pine Rd “The Heart of Hickory ” in Chesapeake. #oysterandsouth
Check out last years Fun on Youtube at: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCJkzM3-nrw
- Landscaping Services for HOA’s (home owners associations)
Homeowner’s associations (HOAs) responsible for maintaining beautiful landscapes, green spaces and water features that boost property values and enhance the lifestyles of community residents.
As a property manager who answers to HOA leadership, you have the important responsibility of vetting landscape design and maintenance companies for seasonal upkeep. Basnight Land & Lawn understands that every community has unique landscaping needs and challenges. You need a commercial landscaping company that meets needs and faces challenges head on so that residents can enjoy their community and open spaces all year long.
Why should you get a bid from Basnight Land & Lawn?
- Family-owned and locally established. A fixture in Chesapeake for more than 28 years, Basnight offers extensive knowledge of the area and experience creating and maintaining beautiful landscapes across Hampton Roads. We love going beyond the work that we do and getting involved. Whether it’s holding community events at historic Greenbrier Farms or sponsoring local organizations, Basnight supports Hampton Roads. Give us the chance to be a part of the properties or neighborhoods you manage.
- Competitive pricing. Neighborhood upkeep and management is costly and we know that you must make the most of every dollar. You will feel comfortable bringing a Basnight bid before HOA leadership because we work with property managers to ensure a fair price.
- Full service. At Basnight Land & Lawn, our service doesn’t stop at green space maintenance and design. We offer year-round value with:
- Irrigation design and drainage control measures
- Creating entrance features for subdivisions
- Outdoor lighting design
- Pest control
- Snow removal
- Design and installation of concrete walks and driveways
- Water feature planning, installation and maintenance.
- Able to service neighborhoods and communities of all sizes. No matter how big or small, we have the labor capacity to complete the job in a timely manner. With more than 250 employees, Basnight is well-equipped to give our best to your neighborhood.
- Solid local, regional and national reputation. Most recently, Basnight Land & Lawn earned gold in the Virginian Pilot’s “Best of 2015” for Landscaper and Outdoor Lighting Design Services in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach (Read this post for other “Best Of” awards received this year). We were also awarded the “Master Craftsman” status from Belgard Hardscapes—making Basnight one of only 69 landscaping companies with that distinction
Request a Commercial Landscaping Quote on the Behalf of Your HOA Today
For more information about our commercial landscaping services or to schedule a consultation, call Basnight Land and Lawn at (757) 436-9617 or fill out the contact us form on our website. We will be happy to provide your homeowner’s association or property management company with a reasonable estimate.
- Basnight Client Earns 2015 Green Award for the South District of Newport News
We love it when our clients get special recognition for their landscaping because it reminds us that the work we do really makes a difference!
“The Chesapeake” retirement community in Newport News recently received the 2015 Green Award for the South District from the Newport News Green Foundation. This award “recognizes businesses throughout the city that maintain landscaping which enhances the beauty of Newport News. Green Award recipients set an example for the community and encourage others to make a visible difference in our city. ”
More photos of The Chesapeake’s campus (all from www.thechesapeake.org):
Basnight Land & Lawn is thrilled to have helped “The Chesapeake” achieve this special commendation as well as provide a comfortable outdoor living space for retirees. We specialize in creating beautiful landscapes for commercial clients of all sizes. Contact us to schedule an estimate on your company or property’s project.
- Making the Most of Your Waterfront Home
If you own waterfront property you know that along with amazing views and recreational convenience come the headache of additional maintenance. Whether on a lake, river, bay or the ocean, waterfront properties have their own unique challenges, from sloping terrain, nesting birds, erosion and pollution control, and strict community or city mandated guidelines.
With careful planning, there are effective techniques that optimize the beauty of waterfront living, while maintaining functionality and safety:
Natural ponds, streams, tidal zones, lakes and rivers benefit ecologically when a transition zone of native plants is kept between the water’s edge and the yard or garden. Native plants generally require less maintenance or fertilization, making them hassle-free and environmentally friendly.
Landscape professionals often opt for outdoor lighting to enhance the aesthetics and safety of waterfront property. This additioncan enhance the value of your home, transforming a beautiful property into something truly breathtaking. Lights can add ambiance to walkways and make it easier to host guests with outdoor living areas after dark.
Waterfront properties naturally slope downward where the yard meets the water. While it is easy to deem this space unusable, a skilled landscaper can transform this area with hardscapes, multi-leveled decks or patios, steps, and paver walkways. Retaining walls, bulkheads and riprap — stones or boulders covering the water’s edge — prevent erosion of waterfront property.
Fencing, walls and gates serve multiple purposes for waterfront homes. They offer privacy, define space, help control runoff and protect your lawn from rising water levels and storms. Gates provide access to docks or paths to the water, but also serve as a protective barrier for children, pets or unwanted visitors. City ordinances and homeowners associations often set guidelines for fencing heights and materials. Be sure you work with a landscape company like Basnight Land & Lawn who is familiar with these rules.
If you own a waterfront home, or you are contemplating buying waterfront property, be sure to call Basnight Land & Lawn at 757-436-9617 to learn more about how we can maximize space and create an environment perfectly suited to your family’s needs.
- Belgard Master Craftsman Awarded to Basnight Land and Lawn
Basnight Land & Lawn, Inc. is proud to announce that we have been awarded the “Master Craftsman” designation which is the highest accreditation available from Belgard Hardscapes. There are currently only 69 “Master Craftsman” contractors in the USA, and just two serving the greater Hampton Roads area – we are one of them.
You may wonder what this means to you, the client. Simply stated, Belgard’s “Master Craftsman” certification signifies that Basnight Land & Lawn’s Installers & Designers workmanship and quality is superior to what is normal for the industry. Additionally, our Installers & Designers are ICPI (Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute) Certified Paver Installers and NCMA (National Concrete Masonry Association) Certified Segmental Retaining Wall Installers. All of these certifications require ongoing education, and ensure you will have a first-rate design and install team working with you at all times to project completion.
We also know that the little details matter. Basnight’s install team gives a great deal of attention to the prep work that goes on below ground as much as what happens above ground, like the precision cuts that are made to the material to be more aesthetically pleasing.
Whatever project you desire — paver patio, walk path, driveway, retaining wall, pool deck, steps, outdoor kitchen, outdoor pizza oven, bar area, fire pit or fireplace — our award-winning staff is ready to install a quality constructed hardscape that will last for years to come. Call us today 757.436.9617 to schedule your Free Consultation.
- Completed Project Photographs By Basnight Land & Lawn
Summer is heating up and Basnight Land and Lawn has been out all around Hampton Roads doing what we do best. Check out these examples of the pool decks, firepits and paved walkways that we’ve created for clients this season. These are completed project photographs by Basnight Land & Lawn.
Please note, these projects will be customized for your specific needs for your particular purpose.
Do you need landscaping or hardscaping for your home or business? Give us a call today at 757-436-9617.
- 4 Reasons Why Now Is the Right Time to Start Your Landscaping Project
What is something that you’ve always wanted to do with your home’s landscape but continue to put off because it’s never the “right time?” Whether it’s an outdoor kitchen, a new patio, a sprawling pool or the koi pond you’ve always wanted, it’s likely that the time will never be just right to start the project. One reason for this is that many homeowners don’t know where to begin when it comes to their landscaping projects. Let Basnight Land & Lawn help you get started with these 4 reasons to start your project today.
1. It is very hot outside.
One common deterrent for starting landscaping projects is extreme weather like the record breaking temperatures we’ve been experiencing in the Hampton Roads area. This means that landscaping projects designed to keep you cool tend to get put off until the cooler months. The good news is that excellent landscaping professionals are trained to work in heat and specialize in pool deck and landscape installations, water feature installation and shady landscape design (pergolas, covered patios, etc).
2. You should be taking advantage of your outdoor space.
At Basnight Land & Lawn, we believe that what is surrounds your home is just as valuable as what is on the inside. Begin your landscaping project today so that you can make the most of the investment in your property.
3. The best time to start preparing for outdoor holiday entertaining is now.
Do you dream of fall nights out on a comfortable patio by the light and warmth of a fire pit? It is smart to start planning your perfect patio during the summertime so it can be ready for out-of-town guests come autumn. Fire pits and outdoor heaters make the backyard a relaxation destination all year long. The same goes when it comes to building an outdoor kitchen that suits all seasons.
4. Working with landscaping professionals lessens the stress.
Whether you have kids who are out of school or too many summer obligations, a busy schedule can put landscaping last on the priority list. Choosing a landscaping company that does the hard work of planning, design, construction and clean-up makes achieving your landscaping vision as easy on you as possible.
If you have a landscaping project in mind like pool installation, outdoor kitchen construction or an overall patio redesign, call Basnight Land & Lawn at 757-436-9617. We are ready to brave the summer heat to bring you the outdoor space you’ve always wanted.
- Take Gardening to The Next Level with a Raised Garden Bed
This simple summer DIY project will give your yard a distinct look and also help protect your flowers and vegetables from rodents and insects all season long.
What you will need:
For this project you will need sturdy wood cut to your desired dimensions, we recommend four 4X4’s cut to 16 inches for support posts, and four 8-foot-long 2X12’s. Construction Heart Redwood is an ideal choice because of its high resistance to rot; this is because the wood comes from the center of the log.
Additionally you will need a roll of gopher wire, a staple gun, a pack of 3 1/2 inch wood screws, a power drill, 16 cubic feet of planting soil, wood clamps, and a shovel.
Building your Raised Garden Bed:
Assemble your raised garden bed upside down on a level surface. Place a piece of 8-foot-long wood on its thin edge and align a post piece to one side. Use the wood clamps to secure the 4X4 wood pieces to the longer ones, drill pilot holes for the screws (make sure that your drill bit is slightly smaller than the screw itself), and secure the two pieces together. Do this for all of your wood pieces and secure all the fours sides together making sure they are level and square.
Place the built bed where you plan for your garden to be, then mark and dig holes where the 4 posts sit. After placing the bed in the holes, make sure it is level, and then fill the holes to secure your bed.
Spread gopher wire across the bottom of the bed and staple it to the inside of the wood walls, stretching the material to avoid wrinkles. Now you can fill your bed with a mix of planting soil from your local garden store or compost. Quickly water the soil to moisten it and your new garden bed is ready to go!
For a more decorative touch, you can paint or stain your garden bed however you like before assembling it or before digging it into the ground.
- Best of Hampton Roads 2015
The “Best Of Hampton Roads” 2015 Awards
Basnight Land & Lawn is proud to announce we are the recipients of 6 prestigious Virginian Pilot’s and Pilotonline.com’s “Best Of Hampton Roads” 2015 awards. “Best Of Hampton Roads” is a yearly “Peoples Choice” award that is categorized by city and business service type within the Hampton Roads Metro Area of Virginia. This year Basnight Land & Lawn won the following: Landscaper, Chesapeake – Gold; Landscaper, Virginia Beach – Gold; Outdoor Lighting Services, Chesapeake – Gold; Outdoor Lighting Services, Virginia Beach – Silver; Garden Center/Nursery, Chesapeake – Bronze; Garden Center/Nursery, Virginia Beach – Bronze.
The entire staff at Basnight Land & Lawn wants to thank all our wonderful customers, colleagues, friends and family who had taken the time to vote for us. Winning awards like these helps validate our company culture that thrives on excellence, continually improving the quality of our landscape work and customer relations.
Give our friendly staff a call at (757) 436-9617 and let us design your dream outdoor living space to include: a professionally designed landscape, pavers, fire pits, outdoor kitchens, water features, irrigation, outdoor lighting and more. The community knows who the best landscaper in Hampton Roads is, now is your opportunity to find out why!
- May is National Barbecue Month!
Time to roll out the grill and prep your steaks because May is National Barbecue Month! But why cook with the same old Weber grill you’ve had in a shed all winter? Take your outdoor-cooking game to the next level with a modern outdoor kitchen.
Basnight can turn your patio into a full-blown kitchen with a grill, smoker, sink, refrigerator, oven, and even a bar. Turning a portion of your backyard into a kitchen or dining area is a great way to add entertaining space for the summer months. Adding a roof and seating area to a fully decked-out counter space can turn the area into an all-weather relaxation station as well.
Adding stylish tiki torches to your backyard can help lessen the impact of mosquitoes and other insects. Citronella oil is popular as a ‘natural’ insect repellent and comes from the Lemongrass plant. The oil has been proven to be effective at repelling multiple species of mosquitoes and flies when used in torches and when applied to the skin every 30-60 minutes. Additionally, adding torches to your landscape can add a new dimension to the design and help provide some fantastic mood lighting for your yard.
For all of your outdoor kitchen needs, you can call Basnight Land & Lawn! We offer stylish furniture, weather-proof appliances, expansive countertops for food preparation, and more. We can even add a roof so you can cook outside in the rain.
So what are you waiting for? Go to your local grocery story, buy a pack of rib-eye steaks (or veggie burgers), set up some tiki torches, and call basnight so that this time next summer you can enjoy a fully-stocked and ready-to-rock outdoor kitchen!
- Save Water this Summer
California’s four-year drought and imposed water cutbacks serve as a reminder that saving water isn’t something we should do just for our wallet, but for the planet as well. Conserving water indoors is as easy as installing low-flow toilets, shower heads, and sinks or simply remembering to turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth. But conserving water outdoors while maintaining the perfectly manicured oasis can be extremely difficult.
With these helpful tips, you’ll save water and have green lawn in more ways than one this season:
- Use a broom, not a hose, to clean driveways and sidewalks. Why waste all that precious water on the street when your lawn needs it more? Most messes (clippings, chalk, leaves, and garbage) can be easily cleaned with a broom.
- Don’t sprinkle your lawn. When you do water your lawn, make sure that it is thoroughly soaked and not lightly sprinkled. This will ensure that water makes it to the root of your yard rather than just the top (where it can evaporate and do no good). A simple rule of thumb is to place a tuna can outside while you water, once it is full then you have watered enough.
- Water early in the day. The early bird gets the worm — and a lawn watered early doesn’t lose moisture to evaporation, and is better defended against slugs and pests.
- Add mulch to your landscape. Mulch stabilizes soil temperature, prevents weeds, adds nutrients to the soil to help feed plants, and helps to conserve water. Though you wont have grass in that area, mulch can help add color and curb appeal to many houses.
- Buy a rain barrel. Rain provides free “soft water” to homeowners-containing no chlorine, lime or calcium-making it ideal for gardens, flower pots, and car and window washing — and you were going to let it wash away into the street.
- Turn some of your yard into a hardscape oasis. Eliminate the need to water part of your yard by making it into a patio/ grilling area/ pool/ fire pit or other useful area. The lass grass you have, the less water you need. (And you can use this article as an excuse if you need to.)
For more info, call Basnight Land & Lawn at 757-436-9617
- 5 Great Ways To Enjoy Your Landscape
5 Great Ways To Enjoy Your Landscape
More and more people are investing in their homes with a professionally designed and installed landscape. Landscapes are more commonly seen by the homeowner as an extension of the home itself. A well planned, professionally installed landscape opens the possibility of enjoying many outdoor activities. The options for improvements and amenities to your yard seem endless. The following are just a few examples of landscape enhancements: paver patios, walk paths, retaining walls, fire pits, outdoor kitchens & grills, pools, gazebos, pergolas, ponds, vegetable or flower gardens and outdoor lighting.
- Relaxing – Whether sitting in a chair on your paver patio or next to your pool on a chaise lounge, relaxing in your own yard is one of the most popular ways to appreciate your landscape. There are many activities that are well suited to accompany your leisure: reading your favorite novel, magazine, or blog; sunning; listening to music; or viewing the mesmerizing flames in your fire pit, are just a few.
- Meals – A few traditional and still popular ways to savor a meal outdoors is to have a picnic or fire up your favorite grill. A more modern alternative is to have an outdoor grill or kitchen. There are many different styles and options for appliances such as: ovens, grills, sinks, refrigerators, and stone hearth pizza ovens. The pleasing aroma of your culinary masterpiece will surely have your neighbors’ line up at your front door for a taste.
- Entertaining – Entertaining family and friends in your yard is an American pastime. Whether a holiday or special occasion, there are few settings more comfortable than entertaining in your very own backyard landscape. Patios and decks are great staging areas, especially if you have an outdoor kitchen and seating area. Add a beverage cooler to your outdoor kitchen and your social becomes a party. Music is another great addition to any get-together and with the availability of low cost portable Bluetooth speakers paired with a mobile device, anyone can become a DJ.
- Exercise & Outdoor Sports – Instead of going to a gym, why not exercise in your yard and enjoy the setting the outdoors can offer. Yoga and free weight lifting can easily be done on your patio or deck. If you are a sporting person, you can: play volleyball, soccer, football, cornhole, or practice your golf swing by driving on an artificial tee. Another great and rewarding activity is playing with your pets in your backyard. And if you have a dog, most will want to play fetch till your arm gets too tired to move.
- Gardening – With flower and vegetable gardens can be quite relaxing, provide some exercise and be visually pleasing to the senses. There seems to be no end to the color and texture combinations within a flower garden. And for food lovers and cooks alike, who does not enjoy an easy access to fresh veggies?
If you really want to relax, let the award winning team at Basnight Land and Lawn design your ultimate landscape. Give our friendly staff a call at 757.436.9617.
Make your landscape dreams come true.
- Put some Spring into your Lawn
It’s that time of the year again to start thinking about your lawn. With the temperature’s getting warmer this is the time of the year to apply a pre-emergent to the lawn to prevent crabgrass over the summer. This , with a fertility program can insure that you have the best looking lawn on the block. Our program here at Basnight has 6 applications. The first 2 are liquid applications and include a pre-emergent , fertilizer (with micro-nutrients ) and a weed control to eliminate in existing weeds in the lawn. Applications 3 and 4 will be over the summer and are a granular application with a weed control. The 5th application is a starter fertilizer and will be in conjunction with aeration and seeding. And finally the 6th application is a deep root fertilizer to help over the winter. If you are interested in being a part of Basnight’s Turf program please contact 436-9617 to set up a free estimate.
- Hardscape Hero Basnight Land and Lawn Inc.
- What This Snow Means for Your Yard
Many homeowners around Hampton Roads are wondering what sort of impact all this snow will have on their lawn when spring rolls around. Generally speaking, snow means both good and bad things for your landscaping.
-A thick layer of snow acts as a blanket—sheltering your lawn from drying winds and insulating it from the extreme cold.
-Snow also keeps the ground from drying out. A wet winter will give your grass and plants a head start in the spring.
-The weight of snow can damage tree limbs and upward-growing trees. A GENTLE shake or brushing with your hands will usually remove snow that has already built up. Do not try to remove snow from your bushes or trees with a broom or shovel. This often leads to broken branches.
-When snow becomes compacted by use such as walking or driving, grass can be damaged. New grass planted the prior season is especially vulnerable since it has not had a chance to mature. Always avoid walking over your lawn while it’s covered in snow.
-As snow banks recede and the weather warms in March, snow mold can live on the surface of your lawn. Snow mold has a tendency to mat down grass. To prevent snow mold, it’s important to gently rake your lawn surface when the sun comes out to help dry it out. Raking will improve the air circulation and help warm the soil.
Call Basnight Land & Lawn
Most winter damage is preventable or easily repaired. For help with your lawn care in Virginia or North Carolina any time of year, call Basnight Land & Lawn at 757-436-9617.
- Best Time of Year to Build Landscape Features
If you’re looking forward to building a new landscape feature for the spring, now’s the time to start planning it with the Hampton Roads leading residential landscape designers at Basnight Land & Lawn. Have all the work done while it’s still cold outside, so your new features are ready to use from the first beautiful day of the year to the last. Give us a call at 757-436-9617. From concept and scheduling to completion, most projects take four to six weeks to get through the design process and completion.
When you call Basnight Land & Lawn, we’ll work with you to fine tune all the details of your new feature. Whether you want a pool, an outdoor kitchen or anything in between, we’ll discuss size, colors, materials, shape, special features and more. Once everything is decided, we’ll get to the planning and building process.
In addition to traditional landscaping, Basnight Land & Lawn frequently works on the following hardscape and landscape associated projects in Hampton Roads:
- Patios, Pavers, Walkways and Stone Work
- Ponds and Water Features
- Pools, Pool Decks and Pool Areas
- Outdoor Living Spaces
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Fire Pits and Seating
If you’re interested in anything listed above or something different, give us a call and tell us about it. All our work is custom, and we’re happy to make all your warm-weather dreams a reality.
Have us do all the work while it’s cold, so you can enjoy the finished product in the spring! Our team of certified professionals is always ready to serve you in Hampton Roads, Williamsburg, Richmond, Currituck County and Nags Head. Call Basnight Land & Lawn at 757-436-9617.
- How Gathering Around the Fire Influenced Human Culture
Backyard fire pits are more than a cozy luxury; they’re a tribute to our roots, harkening to the culture of our ancestors almost one million years ago. Gathering around the fire is one of the longest-running family traditions of our species.
The Virginian-Pilot featured an article about this topic from the Los Angeles Times.
According to studies recently published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, stories told around the campfire one million to 40,000 years ago may have had a significant effect on human culture, promoting equality between peers and family traditions. Just as they do today, campfires back then encouraged a sense of bonding and entertainment.
The !Kung Bushmen Enjoy Nights by the Fire.
Researchers observed the modern !Kung Bushmen of the Kalahari Desert of northeast Namibia and northwest Botswana, noting what topics they discussed around the fire and what topics they discussed during daylight hours.
Anthropology professor Polly Wiessner found that in daytime conversations: 34 percent tended to be complaints, criticisms, and gossip; 31 percent were on economic subjects; 16 percent were jokes; and six percent were stories (the rest were on various topics). Nighttime conversations consisted of 81 percent stories, while only seven percent were “complaints, criticism and gossip.”
It is believed the communities that formed around the campfire are what helped humans colonize the planet. Based on our memories and stories, humans maintain ties with other humans outside our immediate surroundings. No other primates do this.
Take Time. Relax.
Weissner is concerned fewer and fewer humans are celebrating the campfire tradition these days, and focusing too much on work while at home. “What happens to social relations?” she asks.
It’s time to close the laptop, put your work to the side, and enjoy an evening around the fire with your family and friends. It’s an important part of our history, and it should be an important part of our days.
Build the fire pit everyone will love. Call Basnight Land & Lawn now at 757-436-9617.
- Choosing the Right Contractor!
Why choose Basnight Land & Lawn for your next hardscape project?
As a consumer, you want ways to increase assurance that your project is built according to industry guidelines. Basnight Land and Land designers and installers have been certified by the Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute. The ICPI is the governing body segmental pavers and sets minimum standards for the hardscape industry in North America.
The Basnight team has exceeded the test standards of the ICPI and is designated as “Certified Paver Installers” and “Advanced Residential Paver Technicians”. These certifications demonstrate that when you work with the Basnight Land & Lawn you are dealing with true professionals, a select few who understand the process of design, drainage, installation and maintenance.
What is the scope of your project? It’s very important to determine if the installer is actually qualified to do the type of work you want or need done. Some companies may do an excellent job at landscaping and irrigation, but may not have the expertise to handle a hardscape installation. At Basnight Land and Lawn we have the trained professionals on staff to handle all aspects of your project. You want to avoid finding yourself stuck with a project requiring repair and redo because it was beyond the scope of experience of the people you hired.
In 2013 paver sales soared with double digit growth of 11.5% in North America. ICPI Chairman David Pitre said that the increase in 2013 sales, “demonstrates continued demand for pavement systems with versatile design options, low maintenance and environmental benefits.” With this increased demand also comes the concern of hiring a qualified installer. The relationship between you the homeowner and Basnight Land & Lawn is a true partnership – one in which both parties are comfortable communicating suggestions and/or concerns in an open dialog. You can trust that the professionals at Basnight Land & Lawn will ensure that your project is functional, beautiful and exceeds industry installation standards.
- It is that time of the year again to start thinking about Aerating and Seeding you lawn.
Aeration is the process of inserting holes in your lawn to help with better water absorption, nutrient absorption and help in eliminating thatch in your lawn. Aeration also enhances oxygen levels to the soil and encourages healthy root growth. If you have a cool season grass the fall is the best time to aerate because it allows the new seed to come up and establish before the new year. Fescue seed should be put down at 3 to 7 lbs per 1000 sq ft depending on how established your lawn is, if you’re seeding you would be on the lower end and if you are renovating your lawn you would need to seed at 6 to 7 lbs per 1000 sq ft. Once the aeration and seeding is complete you will need to keep the soil moist. Usually watering once in the morning and once in the evening to keep the seed damp for the first 2 weeks after aeration. This will help to get your lawn off on the right foot going into the new year.
- Why Basnight Recommends Pavers Over Concrete
Are you trying to decide between a stone paver and a concrete walkway?
A stone paver from Basnight Land & Lawn takes your outdoor area from looking normal to looking thought-out and well-designed. Here’s a list of reasons why Basnight Land & Lawn recommends pavers over concrete.
- You can create your own unique design, choosing from a variety of styles, including natural stone, marble, slate and brick.
- In the long term, pavers are the most cost effective option. They’re three times stronger than poured concrete, they don’t crack, and they last decades.
- Maintenance is easy. Pavers are easily repaired or added onto in the future. It’s as simple as adding new stones. And if any underground repairs need to be done, a seamless fix is possible.
Call Basnight Land & Lawn
Give your outdoor area that special, well-planned look. Call Basnight Land & Lawn now at 757-436-9617 to learn more about stone pavers.
- Designing the Perfect Outdoor Kitchen
Do you love cooking for company and hosting dinners on your patio? Do you hate being segregated from the fun while you’re stuck inside prepping food? Continue reading →