As we head into the season for RFPs and bids for commercial grounds maintenance contracts, we find property managers often turn to us for help in evaluating the services described. It can be hard to create an apples-to-apples comparison, and that becomes even more difficult when measuring intangibles, such as expertise.
Here are a few questions we recommend asking any commercial grounds maintenance company to help develop a better understanding the capabilities and experience.
- Does the company perform turf applications themselves with certified and trained employees or is the work subcontracted to another vendor?
- Does the company grow their own annuals and/or offer a warranty on installed plant material?
- Does the company have 20+ years experience with outdoor lighting design, installation and maintenance or is the work subcontracted?
- Does the company have 20+ years experience with water feature design, installation and maintenance?
- Does the company provide irrigation services, including design, installation, maintenance and winterizing?
- Does the company have Master Gardeners, Certified Landscape Designers, Virginia Certified Horticulturalists, Certified Aquascape Installers, Registered Technicians, Certified Applicators and Certified Paver Installers on staff?
- Is the Company a Virginia Class A contractor?
- Does the Company provide snow removal services?
- Does the Company have an A+ rating with the BBB?
After more than 30 years in business, we know these details make a difference. The Basnight Land & Lawn approach is to hire subject matter experts and continually grow the experience and expertise of our team. This ensures we can solve virtually any challenge without turning to outside subcontractors. This philosophy has helped us build a team with the most longevity and industry experience in our region.
If you are evaluating bids for commercial grounds maintenance, we can add value to your decision process and help ensure you are making an apples-to-apples comparison. Contact our Commercial Maintenance Division today at (757) 436-9617.